Veritas® Small Plow Plane review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CONGER

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi... have been away for some time (hip replacement - excellent carpentry - mostly with hand tools)...

Where can I find a review for the Veritas® Small Plow (Plough) Plane? It has been on the market now for some months, so I am guessing(?) that one of the excellent reviewers here has done the honours.

-gerard-

05p5101i2.jpg

If you send me one to try out, and I get my review done before Philly, can I keep it? :lol:

Hang on, er .... let me rephrase that.....

well you can't blame a guy for trying :lol:

Hi Folks
At last...........

Veritas Small Plough Plane
First of all I want to say this – I always look forward to new Veritas tools. They are usually very well made, well priced and work excellently. But I do find their appearance a little dull (my eye favours the more classic designs). When I first saw photo’s of this plane on the Internet my initial reaction was “oh no, what have they done?”.
DSCF1431.jpg

DSCF1433.jpg

But in the flesh, the plane is quite handsome, and slightly smaller than I was expecting. That’s not to say it is small – it was modelled after the Record #44 which is a fair sized plane. I got my other plough planes out just to give a comparison.
DSCF1467.jpg

DSCF1468.jpg

The first thing that struck me was how well engineered it was – the casting is cleanly machined and the various threaded parts and brass knobs are nicely finished. The tote is a comfortable size and shape – seems Veritas have been listening to feedback. The polished Bubinga tote, satin black finish and plenty of brass makes for a purposeful looking tool.
The plane comes supplied with a ¼ inch wide iron – for the money (£134) I would have expected a couple more. Needless to say, there are other sized irons available as extras. The iron comes lapped flat which means minimal preparation is needed to get the cutter ready for action. Adjustment and locking down of the iron, fence and depth stop is all done with finger pressure – no screwdrivers needed here. And this brings us to the “special touch” Veritas have given this plane – the fence locking mechanism. Instead of a thumbscrew tightening against the fence rod to lock it in place the plane features two collet style locks which work on a the same principle as a router collet. Another benefit of this is that the fence stays parallel to the skate of the plane when you move it, such is the precision fit of the components. Simple, yet impressive.
DSCF1469.jpg

So how does the plane work? Very well. Set the fence, adjust the depth stop, set the iron and off you go. Depending onhow friendly the timber is you're working you may need to define the outer edges of the groove with a cutting gauge to ensure a clean cut – there are no nicker irons fitted to this plane. I found the plane to be well balanced and comfortable to use. The fence has holes drilled so you can attach a wooden face, giving a larger bearing surface to guide the plane.
With the capacities of the fence and the plane itself you would use this plane for making grooves for drawer bottoms and cabinet backs, smaller work like box making. It makes a pleasant change from the nervous scream of a router!
So - well done to Veritas on a well made tool that has some neat new touches to bring it up to date. My only reservation is with the price and single cutter supplied – you can easily get hold of an antique example in excellent condition for a third of the price that will work just as well.

Cheers
Philly :D

Philly - excellent review, many thanks. I tend to agree that for the price a few more cutters ought to have been included...I think the whole package with them all comes close to £200 iIrc. Hasn't put me off buying one eventually and I think it would be pleasant to make grooves for drawer bottoms and the like with one of these rather than a router.... nice 'by the by' plough-planefest gloat by the way :lol: - Rob

Just cos she don't come round here no more is no reason for us not to go knock on ALfs door.

Alfs review is here

Nice review Phil, but at £200 I'll be staying with my Record 405.

Cheers Mike [/url]

woodbloke":1dsbkwex said:
Philly - excellent review, many thanks. I tend to agree that for the price a few more cutters ought to have been included...I think the whole package with them all comes close to £200 iIrc.

I suggest you look in a late 1980's catalogue to see what the last prices were for Record and Stanley ploughs.

"lots" basically.

BugBear

Philly":2cxov0mo said:
But in the flesh, the plane is quite handsome, and slightly smaller than I was expecting. That’s not to say it is small – it was modelled after the Stanley #44 which is a fair sized plane. I got my other plough planes out just to give a comparison.
DSCF1467.jpg

You know that's a Record #044, right?

BugBear

Thanks Philly, and Alf, and Derek.

Very interesting issues raised.

I guess LV are thinking that the 1/4" blade is where most users of a 'small' plow (ugh!) will stop (pardon the pun)... though I am sure that many stockings will be complemented with the remaining blades.

'1 1/2 turns of slop in the adjustment' does sound un-characteristic for LV... perhaps Rob L will comment?

Concerning the 'resting place' for Alf's index finger... I thought this was desireable when using un-guided tools? OTOH, I am interested to see how my hand will fit the small(?) tote (is'nt that a ladies handbag in 'colonial' english?). It seemed as if Derek had problems gripping the tote, even though he described his hand as 'average in size'.

Derek did mount an auxilliary fence, but he did not comment why. Reading between the lines, it seems like this was an expression of dissatisfaction.

Reviewers welcomed the 'tool free' adjustment. Well done LV. Very neat of course would have been a compartment in the fence for the 'remaining' blades. How often do you find excellent w-working tools on offer... that are incomplete (missing extra blades).

I have rarely used a 'plow' plane. I have often needed a tool to cut stopped grooves. The best solution I have found so far is the excellent LV Router Plane. I have a 4mm (custom) cutter for this plane. I have used this plane very successfully to cut stopped grooves, even in very difficult woods. I see that LNT now have a Router Plane (fence included... not like LV)... now, how does one use the LNT router plane on the edge of a board (t&g)?... I guess one uses the LV plough plane... or in my case, the LV router plane for stopped grooves!

Good wood - work safe - gerard... who is able to walk again... without crutches - 40 days after (long overdue) hip replacement... coupled with heart failure (long story)... now can I push a plane?? Hmmm....

Conger, sorry to hear you've been so sick/disabled for so long. Hope you're getting better, more mobile, etc.

Pam

bugbear":1b2cwaju said:
Philly":1b2cwaju said:
But in the flesh, the plane is quite handsome, and slightly smaller than I was expecting. That’s not to say it is small – it was modelled after the Stanley #44 which is a fair sized plane. I got my other plough planes out just to give a comparison.
DSCF1467.jpg

You know that's a Record #044, right?

BugBear
Doh! Thanks Paul - that'll teach me to have a glass of wine whilst typing..... :roll:

Hi Gerard

I think I should respond to a couple of perceived criticisms that I am alluded to have made, because these are incorrect.

The first is the size of the grip. My only issue (which I did not articulate well enough) was that I could not make up my mind whether to use a 4 finger grip (it was just possible to do this) or a 3 finger grip (easy-peasy). Note that the #044 is a tight fit with just 3 fingers.

Secondly, I used an auxiliary fence in all the planes because it provides better registration, and I wanted to extract the best from each. No other motive.

I later read Alf's review and, because someone commented about her finding that the blades tended to bind, I thought that I would take a second look. So I went back and checked my own. They worked flawlessly (I took photos to record the performance of the 1/4"), so I can only assume that Alf received a rogue set (or I received a good set). No one else has experienced any such difficulties. I reported this on the Ubeaut forum where, not unexpectedly, Jake decided to "find" evidence that the Veritas was rubbish - he has his motives. Let us leave it at that.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I am a regular user of a 044 and plowed a couple of grooves using the LV.

My experiences based on my limited usage:

- I really think the backlash is a non-issue. I have never found you much with the depth setting much on a plow/plough and it isn't absolutely critical to get it just so. If you are trying to get wispy shavings, that groove is gonna take a loooong time to plow.

- The fence adjustment on the LV really is fantastic. OTOH, it isn't awful on the Record.

- I think blade setting ala Derek is also a non-issue. The Record doesn't seem to care if the blade is not flush with the skate and works dandy even if it isn't. Slightly tapered blades are going to play havoc with that method anyway...

- The auxiliary fence is, I think, just good sense and doesn't indicate a flaw. LV could have made a larger fence integral, but it would hit vises, etc. more often. By letting you make your own, you can make the size(s) you want and take it off if it gets in the way.

- The price thing really is kind of unfair to LV. When you consider the technology, manufacturing costs (and not made with third-world labour) and size of market, I think the cost is very reasonable. Unfortunately for LV, the market is a bit flooded with used plows which are, in essence, being sold for pennies on the dollar due to a lot more supply then demand. I bought mine, with all the blades and parts in good condition, for ten or twenty pounds. So LV gets kind of screwed with this. But lots of people like the assurance of buying new.

Back