Veritas® Apron Plane advise please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not jumping on the "got to have" bandwagon but as i mentioned before, i looking for a new block plane. I have decided to get the Veritas® Apron Plane as a christmas present from my little boy (i'm paying but he's wrapping it). The only thing not sure about is the blade. It is worth going the extra bit and getting the A2 steel blade or is the HCS blade enough.

Does anyone know a good supplier for veritas hand tools as i may have a go at the spoke shave kit to in the new year

Thanks

Andy

LyNx":3ts8qrkc said:
It is worth going the extra bit and getting the A2 steel blade or is the HCS blade enough.
Depends. A2's edge lasts longer, but takes longer to hone in the first place. HCS is quicker to sharpen, but unless you sharpen often anyway (like I tend to) you'll be doing it more often. I'd go for HCS unless I expected to be trimming a lot of manmade boards and such, I think. But it's a personal thing - toss a coin. :D

LyNx":3ts8qrkc said:
Does anyone know a good supplier for veritas hand tools as i may have a go at the spoke shave kit to in the new year
Not sure who, if any, are stocking the spokeshave kit; I went direct to BriMarc.

Cheers, Alf

The HCS blade is fine -- my wife ordered my apron plane with the HCS blade and I had no complaints. I eventually ordered the A2 blade because I use my apron plane for a variety of tasks.

When I'm cleaning up glue lines, I'll use the HCS blade. I save the A2 blade for when I'm doing fine work. I also have some brass shim stock that I use under the blade to tighten up the mouth.

The HCS with the factory bevel will crumple on a hard wood's endgrain unless you're really careful. So, you'll have to use a steeper microbevel or use the A2 blade in that instance.

If you don't like the A2 blade we can happily refund replace. Just PM me directly. Avoid Axy show time tho....

The A2 far out sells the HCS fyi

Martin

I much prefer A2 blades. I'd say just get the A2 blade and forget about it, instead of 2 blades that do the same thing. If you want an all-purpose little block plane then an A2 blade sharpened at 30° will do everything including end grain.

gee frank, you are so cheap, only 2c.

but you are right i have found the A2 blade much more sensible and sensitive, but then as said before, i'm only an amateur.

paul :lol:

engineer one":1hz1hkjv said:
A2 blade much more sensible and sensitive
So you'd let it go to the shops by itself but it has a tendency to cry if you criticise it?

I honestly don't know what that means. :?

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2hmm6f7s said:
engineer one":2hmm6f7s said:
A2 blade much more sensible and sensitive
So you'd let it go to the shops by itself but it has a tendency to cry if you criticise it?

I honestly don't know what that means. :?

Cheers, Alf

It's the kind of plane blade you can bring home to Ma. :wink:

so you think i am showing the wrong macho side alf??
actually what i meant is that the A2 could be taken home to mum,
but seriously, you can fettle it and then leave for a lot of work
before it need re fettling. seems good to me.
paul :lol:

Hi Andy -

Good as A2 is - I personally prefer the HCS version of the apron plane... it's fast to sharpen, and the apron plane just doesn't plane as many feet as other planes.... so edge retention isn't usually an issue.

To each his (or her) own...

Cheers -

Rob

Thanks for the input people. I have just ordered the A2 apron, which will have the be wrapped up until christmas.

One more question. Not because it's called an APRON plane but where can i purchase a workshop apron from. I had one many years ago that served well and i would like to get another.

So this is plane no.1 of the veritas collection :lol:

Andy

Lynx
B+Q do a cotton apron, about a tenner. I,m on my third....... :roll:

SP
They are definitely addictive! :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D
Now wheres that BUT

Andy,

I have one of Axminster's "new style" aprons, which they helpfully don't explain on the website. ](*,) It has straps that cross your back and then tie at the waist, so there's no weight on the back of your neck, which I find really helpful. Trouble is I don't much like having "Axminster Power Tool Centre" across my front; shouldn't they be paying advertising rates? :lol: Good strong material too; lasts for ages, unlike some of the cheaper aprons available now. For really mucky jobs I use my grandfather's cheap cotton apron which must be all of 40 years old, and it's just fine! They don't make 'em like they used to... :(

Cheers, Alf

I took the plunge and ordered a leather apron - partly 'cos I have an oxy-acetelyne welding setup so like the heat protection. Its much more durable - and provides a small amount of protection if you have a kick-back / slip with a sharp chisel etc.

Not cheap at £40, but if Philly pays £10 a pop for disposal versions I reckon its a bargain!

CAB1_tn.jpg

Adam

Tony":6jxklma6 said:
A2. no question

Who actually enjoys sharpening blades then???

Not me , which is why I prefer HCS!

Seriously, I find it a lot easier to sharpen and generally I can get sharper edges which last long enough. A2 lasts longer but not long enough to be worth the hassle to me.

Wot he said. Pesky A2 has given more grief than I can bear to contemplate; who's silly idea was it anyway?* ](*,)

Cheers, Alf

*I believe LV claims it for North America, but I have a feeling I'd read Karl Holtey started the rot. Well KH can be forgiven; it's not like his blades were ever going to be troubling me by their presence... :lol:

Sharpening is no big deal in my workshop-I keep my set-up ready to go so if I need a quick sharpen it only takes a minute.
Those waterstones sort out A2 quickly and easily-what are you lot using?? :?
Philly :D

Latest posts

Back