venturing into the turning forum...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
More of a hello to everyone in this part of the forum than anything else.

I have resisted the urge to turn for some time now, but I would like to be able to turn some simple legs for stools, stool seats and the odd functional bowl.

I'm not far from the Herts and Beds Club meetings in Hemel Hempstead. Can't get on their website as it comes up as having a virus but have emailed the contact there. I work at Isaac Lord in High Wycombe and may be able to do some turning here to have a go before I delve in too deep.

I think I should try it out first and see what tools I would require to accomplish my first and most pressing task of producing some legs.

I'll continue to read some more through this part of the forum that I have to date passed by.

Cheers
Paul (mickthetree)

Hi Paul

I mainly turn spindles and the four basic tools I use almost every time are:

3/4" roughing gouge

1/8" parting tool

3/8" spindle gouge - fingernail ground

3/4" oval skew

With the above you can turn any spindle - any additional tooling just makes it a little more efficient.

All of the above in my experience / opinion of course.

Regards Mick

mickthetree":3l0ua7a5 said:
More of a hello to everyone in this part of the forum than anything else.

I have resisted the urge to turn for some time now, but I would like to be able to turn some simple legs for stools, stool seats and the odd functional bowl.

I'm not far from the Herts and Beds Club meetings in Hemel Hempstead. Can't get on their website as it comes up as having a virus but have emailed the contact there. I work at Isaac Lord in High Wycombe and may be able to do some turning here to have a go before I delve in too deep.

I think I should try it out first and see what tools I would require to accomplish my first and most pressing task of producing some legs.

I'll continue to read some more through this part of the forum that I have to date passed by.

Cheers
Paul (mickthetree)

Hi Paul

you might also look at <http://www.middxturners.com/> it is not all that far from you. Have a look at their programme and if anything takes your fancy then it may be worth the extra few miles for you. I joined the club and it is fantastic, but only once a month, so I have been thinking about trying out the Herts and Beds Club meetings. Be careful about woodturning, it is very dangerous, I was given a lathe and it has cost me a small fortune already and now that I am hooked, I am trying to stem the flow of yet more small fortunes. :lol:

Thanks Peter! I'll look them up.

I'm going to try and focus my efforts at the very specific tasks I have in mind, otherwise I can see a whole new slope opening up. I'm far enough down the flat one as it is already!!

Paul

I wonder why everybody calls it a 'Slope' when in fact it's a damn great steep hill. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll: :roll:

John. B

John. B":3nvig2sg said:
I wonder why everybody calls it a 'Slope' when in fact it's a damn great steep hill. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll: :roll:

John. B

It's because when you first start and step on the slope, the hill is so far away it looks like a gentle curve, it's just an illusion of course, so you spend a little more until you are so invested that you have to keep going until you reach a point where you have climbed that damn great steep hill and realise that you could have done it a lot cheaper if you had taken your time :oops:

Back