Venting shed walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Power

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm constructing my shed as per Mike G, but I've got 1" finished t&g v jointed boards which I'll be fitting vertically onto 1" horizontal slaters battens, how would I achieve ventilation between them and the breather membrane ?
One option would be to use a vertical batten on every board at the nail line, but that's going to use an awful lot of battens ?

That would work":2t34xc1n said:
Counterbatten. Vertical battens over the membrane then horizontal battens over them.

Correct. The counterbattens are against the structure & membrane, and ideally, the horizontal battens should have a sloped top edge draining water inwards such that it isn't trapped against the back of the cladding. This is going to affect the vent design at the bottom, the eaves at the top, and the relationship between the bottom of the boards and the plinth. I'd be fairly relaxed about having slimmer counterbattens, if this helps (not the battens, though, as they'll need their thickness to take the fixings).

Back