Ventilation gap behind fitted wardrobes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm fitting Ikea wardrobes next week on an external wall that has had some minor damp issues in the past. The source of the damp has been cured (cavity wall breached plus wet insulation) and a period of time allowed for a dry out.

My initial plan was to fit the floor to ceiling carcasses flush to the wall because I can and every centimetre matters in a small room. However, as I was about to take off the skirting to allow this I wondered if it might make more long term sense to allow a small gap (thickness of the skirting) behind to allow for some limited ventilation. This can be aided by various discrete holes to further improve the flow.

Am I needlessly worrying or is ventilation a good idea? Thoughts appreciated.

Definitely wise to leave a gap. In my experience, a wardrobe hard up against even a dry wall will cause condensation and mould.

I had fitted wardrobes on an external wall years ago. We had dampness and mould and the only effective cure was skirting board heaters in the central heating system in the back of the wardrobes.

We are having a new fitted wardrobe fitted on monday - the designer has incorperated a 50mm gap between the rear panel and the external wall - some manufacturers do not fit backs at all we discovered, I think this would undermine the strength of the carcass though. Must have designed in the gap for a reason!!!!!!

My son has fitted wardrobes and they have no backs in them, in fact I wouldn't really expect a 'fitted' wardrobe to have a back.
Inside he uses this sytem; System — Elfa..
With the wire baskets etc. there is more than enough room for air movement and he has zero problems with it.

Thank you all. The gap will remain and I'll have a more detailed look at the insulating wallpaper.

I think that - more important than the gap - is the openings top and bottom to allow free convection of air to actually shift moisture that will probably condense.

Latest posts

Back