Ventilating under a shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Had to put up a new storage shed, timber frame laid on a polythene DPC on top of a concrete slab. The floor (mostly chipboard) will be laid on top of the timber joists of the base. Because of the exact construction, this will mean that there is closed-in, dead airspace between the joists. Should there be some form of ventilation of these spaces (obviously grilled to keep out little beasties)? Or is it OK just to leave the spaces?

phil.p":xo41ro88 said:
:) The mice and rats will do it for you. :)
Any gaps in the floor under a shed should be Jack Russell sized.

I would have to agree. I put a shed on an allotment once and the little boggers chewed their way under there pretty quick. If you could stand it on a brick surround it would help I suppose.

flying haggis":2svnbaqv said:
i have just recently built my shed /workshop and I put this stuff

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Constru ... 797/p50904

all the way round the bottom of the shed to "close" the gap between the bearers and also along the bearers at the ends

Got some of that, so it's possible. BUT, will that proof against mice? From experience, the little barstewards will get through holes much smaller than that mesh.

Still doesn't quite answer my orginal question - do I need to ventilate the space?

Back