Vented Grille?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am building a cabinet with a fridge built in. Obviously I need to have some sort of vent in the top. I bought a Vented Louvre Grille from B&Q but tbh it's ugly and i'm not keen on fitting it to the top. The cabinet is in the middle of 2 other cabinets so side venitlation would not be very efficient.

So does anyone know where I can get an attractive Grill that I can sink into the worktop? would have to be no longer than 60cm and as skinny as possible.

Cheers

Wizer

Waht type of fridge are you building into the cabinet?

I did the same sort of thing with a fridge and a freezer when I built my kitchen, they were designed for built in and had the grill for ventilation below the door, with the door panel on you can't see the grill unless you get right done on the floor.

This is a mini fridge. It is Stella branded, we use it for keeping booze cool. I hadn;t thought of venting through the bottom.

What i was asking for is some sort of mesh/grille that I can sink into the worktop that will vent the fridge and look nice/decorative

Hello WiZeR
If you can't find what you want in the ready made, I would be tempted to do as Gill suggested. Cut some stop thru slots (maybe at a angle) with the table saw. Maybe an electric hand saw with a guide.

By the way, I also have a mini freg. in a cabinet. I just made the opening larger around the sides and top and it works fine. I know with cabinets on each side that you may not be able to do this.

Good luck on getting what you want. :D
Travis

Gill":5tps6gu2 said:
Hi WiZeR

Ever thought of building your own louvre?

Gill

hmm nice idea Gill, but I want this project finished this year! :oops: :wink:

Thanks Matt, they had one Grille that looked quite nice. Not much of a selection tho. I'll keep hunting.

I found this site http://www.decorativemesh.co.uk/ which have a great selection of meshes but i'm not sure how I would finish the edges

Travis Byrne":1dlcggtn said:
Hello WiZeR
If you can't find what you want in the ready made, I would be tempted to do as Gill suggested. Cut some stop thru slots (maybe at a angle) with the table saw. Maybe an electric hand saw with a guide.

I had thought of just routing 3 grooves directly into the worktop. However, I'm not sure how it will end up looking, what with it being 1 layer of Birch ply and 1 layer of veneered mdf.

The reason i think this vent is important is because the whole thing will be in a conservatory and allready get extremely hot even on the dullest days. Unfortuneately I didn't consider this well enough in my design and the carcass is now built and in place.

ah, spot on Jason, How do you normally fit them? I was thinking about sinking it flush to the top. Is this feasable?

No reason why not, just route out a recess & square up the corners, blob or two of silicon or grip fill will stop it moving about.

Jason

not reallly, the cabinet only sits on 44x44mm battons. I'm not sure bottom venting would be efficient enough.

Ideally you should have top & bottom vents so that cool air is drawm in as the hot air escapes. A few holes in the back of the base & some in the plinth will do.

Jason

thanks guys, i'm learning this built in furniture malarky on the fly :wink:

Doh, quick update to this. Just discussing this with the missus and she helpfully pointed out :oops: that the vent can go on back of the cabinet vented through the side of the conservatory to the open air.

Silly me :oops:

Back