Veneers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecoder

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone work with veneers and if so how easy or suitable are they for small jewellery boxes etc. Finally can anyone reccomend a supplier online please.

Sorry I meant to ask if the iron on ones were any good.

Yes , Perfect, no sorry, I always buy a whole bundle it makes it worth while to go and collect / select. do you know what you want if you put up a wanted in the market place you may find some one has a piece and would post it to you :wink:

Chrispy":o36q01oy said:
Yes , Perfect, no sorry, I always buy a whole bundle it makes it worth while to go and collect / select. do you know what you want if you put up a wanted in the market place you may find some one has a piece and would post it to you :wink:

Cheers Chris,My question was more aimed at the glue on ones,the ones that you apparently use an iron on rather than press.

I wondered how easy they were to cut and match up etc ,

Hi, thecoder

You can get mixed packs from Ebay, if you want to have play.

Pete

Racers":29mcxeve said:
Hi, thecoder

You can get mixed packs from Ebay, if you want to have play.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Am I right in thinking that a press is needed if they are not pre glued ?

Dave

Thecoder, no you don't need a press, you can use contact adhesive on veneers. Work with veneers quite a bit and I use the spray contact adhesive most of the time.

A few G cramps and pva for small jewel box should be ok. I must confess I never used iron on veneer, seems a good idea but would think that on wide ish pieces that you must have to be very careful not to shrink the veneer with to much heat etc and the glue can't be as permanent as pva, just my feelings...

Couldn't add any more to previous post when I was typing it but any veneer with glue on it already usually came in the form of a roll of edging any time I used it. Often called "iron on edging." Was actually putting some 50mm stuff on today, would probably work well if you wanted to use it for small jewellery boxes.

Hi, thecoder

I have used PVA some MDF and some clamps, its easy to do. You can make your own iron on by painting PVA on, waiting untill its dry then iron it on, but PVA and a presure pad like some 18mm MDF is just as easy. Put something like parcel tape or cling film on the pad to stop it sticking.

Pete

I'm making a small jewellery box at the moment to house my wife's Xmas present, a pair of antique art deco earrings that a cardboard box just doesn't do justice to!

Anyway, it's only about 2" square and I'm using maple veneer on the lid, glued on to a piece of Boxwood. You don't need a press for small stuff like this, I just glued it with PVA and sandwiched it overnight between two scraps of 18mm melamine faced MDF with a G-clamp, the glue doesn't stick to the melamine.

Have to say I don't like pre-glued veneer, it can creep, and the heat applied to the veneer can make it shrink and split, I prefer to use cold glue and take my time.

I buy veneer from many sources, mostly though I use Vale Veneers who have an online shop and also sell on eBay.

I am making some jewellery boxes at the moment which have veneered tops.

And I am using the glue sheet that you apply first and then iron the veneer on to it.

It works well but it does take a bit of practice to make sure that you have your iron just right, enough to melt the glue but not hot enough to shrink the veneer.

I have found it is not good for tight burrs such as Elm which tend to shrink to much.

And I would always cold press large areas with pva or cascamite and for things like cross banding I use animal glue.

But for small bits such as the box tops I am making at the moment I like it as it means I can crack on with the job.

I made my wife a box for Christmas about 5 years ago this way and there has been no problems with it at all.

I have also used it for put felt on the bottom of boxes as well.

Tom

Capital Crispin are fantastic...

I'd forgotten about them, haven't used them for years, but yes they really are excellent, if you were after something a bit special and don't mind paying for it they could be the place to go.

Talking of Original Marquetry, I made an appointment and went down yesterday to pick up some exotic veneers from them, not having dealt with them before. Beautiful veneers...the stock range, quantity and quality is awesome. Spent an awful lot of money though...investment...investment...investment...

Reminds me of the Rules of Exotic Wood Buying...

Rule 1...you can always guarantee that when you only want three pieces 3" x 3" x 24" that the only board available is at least ten times that volume

Rule 2 ...that, when you go to use some of the board left over from Rule 1, it's not long enough.

Back