Veneering

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrA

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just thick, well actually there's no maybe about it, but after researching the internet it appears that it's cheaper to buy veneered PLY/MDF than it is to buy the veneer sheets and do it yourself.

Could someone point me in the right direction here, is it actually worthwhile DIY veneering?

Hi
A few points to put in the equation:
1, A cubic foot of timber would produce in the region of 400 square ft of standard thickness of veneer, (they should be able to give it away!)
2, You are actually paying for massive machinery, steaming, storage, wastage, transport, labour etc. etc.
3, Veneered man-made boards often have thinner veneer applied. Probably very plain rotary cut veneer.
4, If you apply veneer yourself you can choose the veneer with regard to type, matching leaves, grain, inlay, crossbanding etc.
5, Think - satisfaction of a piece of crafstmanship well done. Very few hobbies come cheap.
Sorry this reads a bit like a sermon.
Cheers John

Thanks for the reply.

I've been using just plain sheet materials and painting whilst I practise, now that I feel that I'm becoming more competent I wanted to use veneered sheets to make better cabinets for the spare room. As I'm still prone to the odd balls up I thought it would be more cost effective to make the cabinets and veneer the boards before assembly. This doesn't seem to be the case.

Hi (again)
If you are relatively new to veneering I would suggest honing your skills on veneering a small box or just doors of a cabinet.
I would not even contemplate veneering a carcase before assembly. Yes use ready veneered boards, but be aware how paper thin the veneer is.
You will probably need to veneer the cut edges by hand.
Good luck with your project. Cheers John

sorry to hyjack the thread, but it is related...

if making a small item, eg box, from mdf which you are going to veneer, do you:

1. Veneer the mdf slightly oversized, then cut to size and cut mitred joints before assembly
2. cut to size then veneer and cut joints, assemble
3. cut to size and cut joints then veneer and assemble
4. assemble then veneer

tia
Mark

Personally I would cut the MDF over sized, veneer it then cut to finished size. If it is going to have raw ends just allow for this when you cut to size .5mm per end.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

Back