veneering kitchen worktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unib

Established Member
Reaction score
Is this idea going to work, or is it silly....

I have cheap Ikea worktops made from small chunks of beech (This one..http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00145748/) If I were to veneer it with maple and finish it with something suitably waterproof would it work - be durable enough, or will I find in a year's time that it's coming apart due to movement / moisture contamination?

Hi, Unib

You would also have to veneer the underside as well to stop it warping.
I don't think it would last very well, the good thing about a wooden work top it you can sand it and refinish it, but with a veneer you would soon be through it.
And how are you going to clamp the veneer down while gluing? vacuum clamping would be the only was of doing a large area, unless you have a hugh veneer press.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I think you're right. I do have a vacuum press but thinking about it, I haven't got a bag big enough for the longest length of worktop so that wouldn't work. I should obviously stick with the beech and maybe think about making some solid maple tops in the future.

Back