Veneering a small piece

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marineboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m making a small box out of oak, about 250 x 180mm. For the lid I have a piece of santos rosewood veneer that I’ve had for ages and never used that I think will contrast nicely with the oak. I plan to use the veneer on a 6mm ply substrate which will be rebated into the box sides. My question is, what is the best way to attach the veneer? I am assuming just PVA and clamp, but I’d be grateful for any advice as to whether this is the best approach.

PVA will be fine, to be honest you could use almost any glue but if PVA is what you have then that is fine. The only downside to using PVA over scotch or fish glue is there will be no correcting and mistakes. Score both the underside of the veneer and your ply with a hacksaw blade to give a better grip for the glue.

Prior to getting a veneer press that is how I did it. I used two pieces of 18mm MDF but any flat board is fine. To stop the veneer sticking to the board in the event of the glue bleeding through put a piece of absorbent paper on each board. Make sure you veneer both sides of the substrate to mitigate against it warping.

The reason you veneer both sides of the groundwork is to balance to stresses caused as the wood veneer moves with moisture, not because both sides will be seen. It is usual to use the fancy stuff on the outside and a plain veneer on the back. If you did not then the 6mm ply would look like a banana within 48 hours at most. I would suggest you use animal glue (hide glue) for small pieces as you do not need to have a press. Just brush on and then give it an iron with a hot steam iron sans steam and a veneering hammer to press it down. Watch the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Ubb659iXc

Back