Veneered Plywood Oxfordshire

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chobbs

Reaction score
Hello.

As many would, having time to pass during COVID quarantine I went about making my garage into a small workshop. I did a small bit of carpentry at school and have always enjoyed it.

I’ve been doing small pieces, coasters, chopping boards and building my own carcasses for the garage units etc.

I was looking at moving onto some larger furniture but didn’t want to shell a huge amount on materials. Watching some American YouTube vids (roll eyes here) they often use veneered plywood and then edge or face frame with real stock, however I don’t seem to be able to find anything in the UK around the Oxford area. I know a lot of you will just say make it from the real deal but it’s a lot to invest if things go wrong!

Does anyone know of any suppliers of veneered ply in the oxford area, everything seems to be MDF which I worry about strength with.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
You could ask Cutlist cutlist.co.uk which is just south-east of Oxford along the M40 at Chinnor. They supply and cut with the utmost precision all sorts of sheet materials and I think do veneering and laminating etc.

They precison cut some 19mm Birch ply for some furniture for me and made a fanastic job - not cheap though . . . I went to collect, the machinery is pretty impressive

Last edited:
You could ask Cutlist cutlist.co.uk which is just south-east of Oxford along the M40 at Chinnor. They supply and cut with the utmost precision all sorts of sheet materials and I think do veneering and laminating etc.

They precison cut some 19mm Birch ply for some furniture for me and made a fanastic job - not cheap though . . . I went to collect, the machinery is pretty impressive

Thanks for the quick response, I’ll check them out as I’m only in Thame 10 minutes away!

If you are using veneered plywood for the first time, I would make a couple of comments
Dont buy the cheaper material, specify it on a decent birch core. You get what you pay for
If fitting lippings to it, be very careful when trimming the lippings back to thickness as the veneer is very thin. I find the best way to do this is trim close with a bench plane, slightly skewed so there is no risk of tearout on the edge of the lipping and then do the last fraction of a mm with a cabinet scraper

Back