Veneered MDF or Timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freetochat

Established Member
Reaction score
I am planning for my next project, courtesey of 'King Norm'.

I was originally going to use American Cherry, but wonder whether 18mm Cherry veneered MDF would be better for stability. Unfortunately, I've been unable to locate 18mm Cherry veneered plywood which I would have preferred.

Regards

John

Hi John
If it were me, I would use 18mm cherry-flavoured MDF for the carcases, 6mm cherry ply for the backs, solid cherry for the face-frames, doors, door panels and top, and 12mm cherry ply, with the front edge lipped to 20mm, for the shelves. You will find that MDF does not take very much weight before it starts to sag, whereas 12mm ply is really quite stiff, especially if lipped front and back.

HTH
Steve

John,

I made fairly large bookshelves in cherry veneered MDF although I used 25mm rather than 18 as I wanted to be sure the shelves didn't sag. 6mm veneered ply was used for the back All exposed edges were lipped with cherry wood. It worked out quite well.

Like you I had wanted veneered ply, it wasn't available anywhere in 18mm except for very expensive special order.

DSC_3477.sized.jpg

Just another thought. If you are concerned about sagging, you could always make the sheles as torsion-box construction. Say, 3mm-15-3, which would give you a nice thickness.

Steve

Steve":2ggcbfy6 said:
you could always make the sheles as torsion-box construction

but if you have a lot of shelves to do then it will add considerable time and effort.

If I need to make shelves in veneered MDF I use 18mm (because 25mm is just too darn heavy to move I think) and then lip it with a good thick front c 25mm thick and at least that deep (but pref more). Haven't noticed sagging.

If you are fixing the shelves then fixing into the back will also reduce sagging and if you want to make them adjustable then depending on potential usage and shelf span I sometimes put matching shelf support holes down the centre of the back panel.

Cheers

Tim

The Sagulator is your friend :shock:

Assuming the calculations are to be believed, that is.

Have a play with different materials, sizes & weights - the different amount of sag between MDF & plywood is quite marked, as is the difference between a 3' wide shelf & a 2' wide one.

Richard

Thanks for the advice.

Only on the back of an envelope, my thoughts where to cost out using 2 sheets of 12mm ply laminated together to form the carcass. The shelves would be about 375mm deep x 800 mm wide and made out of 12 mm ply lipped to 25mm. Height of the units would be close to 2200mm, and I thought a central fixed shelf to give a little more rigidity to the carcass, with adjustable shelves on brass inlays for the remaining shelves.

Given the weight of books, I'm unsure as to whether the laminated sides would offer enough strength and support.

Two pieces of 12mm ply laminated to form a thicker piece will be enormously strong. One big "however" though - it can be difficult to keep them flat when laminating and any wind that you build in is not going to come out.

One of the advantages of MDF over ply is that it is generally much flatter. I find ply very disappointing these days in that regard, especially birch ply which one might expect to be the best. The much cheaper construction ply comes a lot flatter than birch ply in my experience

Just where do you get veneered MDF? I have never seen any over here in this country so far. I have seen plenty of Chipboard with coverings on but never MDF? If it is available I should imagine it is very expensive isnt it? :?:

Any good timber merchant should have it. Expect to pay £40-50 a sheet, depending on the veneer and how many sheets you buy. Usually get a price break at 10 sheets, but I never buy that many at a time - storage!

Try Jewsons or Nixon Knowles (who are now owned by Jewsons).

Cheers
Steve

I just happen to have a quote of oak faced mdf in front of me :lol:
All + VAT
6mm = £17.95
12mm = £21.50
18mm = £26.54
25mm = £35.80
That was a quote for 11 sheets of each so a better rate was given ( i hope ) also you'll find 1 face is crown cut the other face is quater sawn .

Richard Russell has quoted me £34 + VAT for Oak faced 19mm MDF and £40 + VAT for American Cherry. I can get it a little cheaper from Silvermans, and with a higher grade facing.

Thanks Chris, you have identified my worry concerning a flat result. It looks like it will be MDF.

Once again thanks for all the advice.

Regards

John

W . Hanson in Hounslow , i use them a lot and get contract rate with them so you may not get the same quote but its worth a try :D
There number is 0208 572 5301

I get similar prices to JFC from Edens. I also use their Birch ply a lot now and I have to say that flatness is pretty good. Maybe worth a try Chris?

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim

Isn't there a minimum order size from Edens, Tim? I once tried to buy some ply from them but they wouldn't deal with me unless I ordered 20 sheets.

Gill

Do you have a link for Edens ? and do they sell Timber aswell as boards ? Please :D

Gill

The biggest order I have had from them was 16 sheets of various stock, the smallest was 10.
It might also depend on which depot services you. I use Corsham which although quite a long way south of me is closer than Coventry which is probably your one. I have found them very helpful and I usually get the same driver who is happy to help unload. I had some problems with a few boards last time (not obvious until they were unwrapped) which they replaced within 24 hours.

JFC

Link is: http://www.edens.co.uk

Cheers

Tim

Thanks , i need around 44 sheets of oak faced mdf , maybe you could add your cherry order on to my order freetochat ?might save you a few quid . im shopping around for the best deal tomorrow so pm me if you want .

Back