Veneered MDF or Timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bringing this one back from the dead I know, but it has been a really useful thread for me.

I was wondering, freetochat, how did you get on with this project?

I am about to embark on a similar project (inspired by seeing Chris's book shelves in the wood so to speak!) and intend to build a desk in between two cabinets with book case above.

Any tips or learnings? Have done my sketchup plan, see below, and intend to use the info from this thread. Anything else to add ? :)

study%20shelves.jpg
[/img]

If your building in oak i have a few 2440mm x 300mm x 25mm oak veneered mdf left over from my last job , should take care of the shelf department .

Biglouie

This project is planned for the spring.

My research has been that I can get 19mm vennered mdf easily, but no plywood of the same thickness. The carcass and shelves cannot be less given sag and strength to carry books. My main concern with mdf is the weight and mdf fixing ability (each shelf unit will weigh approx. 75kg)

I am completing a job using some veneered 19 mm mdf so intend doing some sample joints (stopped housing) to see what happens.

At the moment, I am leaning towards using solid timber (A Cherry), and will be speaking with WL West (who have supplied me some nice boards in the past) to see what the price will be. It will obviously be considerably more than mdf.

Decision time soon.

i buy my veneered mdf from the Hanson branch in Southall, west london, and their single sheet prices seems about £5 dearer than the trade rate. they will also cut it to some extent for you. straight cuts that is.

mags like American Woodworker, and Popular Woodworking even FW
offer designs which use torsion boxes for the outside pillars, and 6 or 9 mm play facings.

in my experience, mdf bookshelves should not be wider than 24-27 inches, or much deeper than 15 inches, but they do make heavy mothers, and of course they also take in certain levels of moisture. but they do make for a quick construction.

final thought, unless you have lots of help, or build it in, then you have to think about making it in sections, which means that maybe torsion box is the way to go. i think it might also save you some material cost money too
and with a production line, the time may not be too dramatic when building.

hope this also helps
paul :wink:

Thanks engineer one.

The total length of the unit is to be 4 metres, and I was going to break that down to 800 mm (x5) sub units as an economical size for board cutting. For the shelves, I think 12mm ply, serious rebate lipped with solid timber front and back (350mm deep in total). Again 300mm being an economical cut. 50mm x 30mm lipping with 25mm x 12mm rebate to give a good gluing area.

The sides as my previos post mdf or solid timber.

12mm ply for the back, so I can add a centre fixing to help the shelf.

Torsion shelves are fine, but too bulky for the look that I want. Correction, for swmbo's wishes.

Doors will be standard frames with inset glass.

I'm just waiting to see NYW program 1713.

Gill":27kqyd48 said:
Hi Tim

Isn't there a minimum order size from Edens, Tim? I once tried to buy some ply from them but they wouldn't deal with me unless I ordered 20 sheets.

Gill

My local Edens is Liskeard, any order below £50 incures an extra charge, I think it's about £5 but there is no minimum. Another person asked if they do timber, the short answer to that is no, their main sales are sheet materials of all types/kind and kitchen work surfaces.

PS I believe their website has a pdf download of everything they sell

I get all my veneered mdf from James Lathems. My nearest is ossett near leeds and they have depos all over the uk. I prefere to buy my 18mm sheets in 10x4 as you get more for your cash. i only pay £28 +vat. I also buy my hardwoods from them. I suppose its cos i use them alot but i dont have to buy alot of sheets to get this price. Some times just 3 or 4 sheets.

steve

Back