Veneered MDF or the like

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shedman

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone help me please. I have a number of projects to complete for our house, and was thinking about using veneered MDF for the side panels of cupboards and units.

I can't seem to find a stockist locally (to Kettering, Northants) so if anyone has any ideas then please let me know.

Likewise, if anyone has used this material any tips would be gratefully received!!

Can't help you with anywhere local I'm afraid. The stuff I have used came from a local builders merchant who seem to have a good range. I did get a quote from Travis Perkins and they might be local to you. Local branch would have had to have ordered it though, yours may be big enough to keep it in stock.

As for cutting I have used a circular saw. Got a bit of breakout when cutting across the grain but on the recommendation of members of these forums have just bought a laminate/veneer blade for my tablesaw and that seems to be a lot better. The cut I have got has been good enough to apply edging directly.

Andrew

Hi Shedman,
I've bought veneered MDF from these folk in the past.

http://www.silverman.co.uk/index.php

Don't know if one is near you, they have a list of depots on the site. I paid about £30 a sheet, regardless of thickness. They have a good stock, but service was on the "builders merchants" side! :?
regards,
Philly :D

Veneered MDF is useful for your intended application. It is readily available from the Travis Perkins type of stockist. I use a Festool circular saw and guide rail for cutting it which avoids any problems with splintering on cross grain cuts (the cut quality is so good).

I edge my veneered MDF with a suitable lipping - I normally use 5 to 10 mm thick wood in the species as the veneer. This thickness provides ample material to work beadings, reedings etc. on the edges.

For joining corners, I use biscuits or dowels.

Depending on the species of veneer, this can be expensive stuff, it pays to use a cut-list program to plan your cutting to minimise wastage - also to invest in a quality saw, or sawblade at least to reduce splintering. You can also use making tape for this - be careful when peeling it off not to lift fibres from the veneer edges.

I make my kitchen cabinet doors and drawer fronts from veneered mdf, which I buy from W.T.Edens, who have several branches across the southern half of England
I get reasonably clean cuts with an 80tooth table saw blade. I then chamfer with a 45deg bearing guided cutter.
All my doors are painted (it's what my market demands at the moment, light, bright colours) and the grain shows through nicely
John

shedman if you go to uk woodworking on msn groups and look in the piccy section for franks bits you will see a kitchen in v/ mdf .
it comes in varing thicknesses.

You have to be careful planing/sanding solid lipping and general handling, as the veneer is very thin on the MDF. I have used Cherry, Oak and Pine. All were not much more than 0.5mm. One slip and your bu****ed!

http://www.severnply.co.uk. I know its not local but their PDf CATALOGUE IS USEFUL FOR PRICING ETC.

Ike

Chris,

Looks like a glaring omission to forget the link to the price guide on their spanky new site. I would just email them and they'll probably be able to send you the guide as an attachment.

BTW They sometimes have stock of B grade postform jigs for £50 if anyone is interested. They're just as good as A grades but have maybe a scratch or chip or two on the melamine surface.

Ike

Back