Veneer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all,

Was watchin CEW and Barn free at the weekend and they were both using big sheets of veneer.

I have checked the art veneer type sites and cant seem to see any this sort of size listed. Any ideas where to get it from, and more importantly a guestimate of cost.

Cheers

Aidan

Thanks for the reply,

I found a supplier in Belfast, sheets 10 X 5 are available at an amazing £170.............

Does that sound about right?

Ahh well back to the drawing board

Aidan

Have you thought of buying veneer faced MDF or plywood - far easier and possibly cheaper? Some timber yards do it or can get hold of it. For an idea of the choice you'd get have a look at slhardwoods. Probably not the cheapest, especially when you see their carriage charges. You can also get the iron on tape for the edging as seen a lot on CEW!
For smaller bits of veneer ebay sometimes has some good prices.
Cheers
Gidon

Veneer faced MDF/plywood is a lot cheaper than that, about £50/60 I think when I last checked.

Adam

Pardon my ignorance....! I'm never in touch with TV programs.... what's CEW?

As far as veneer goes I think size depends on the species and what you are using it for.

For example is it for balancing the backs of boards or do you want it as the face of the piece and to exhibit the grain patterns? If it’s for balancing unseen backs then the size and visual quality is unimportant.

Large sheets tend to be roll cut from a log, rather like carpet on a roll and don't have the grain figure you would get with stock that is quarter cut. This is important with Oak, for example and other timbers that rely on medullary rays or the chataillance you get from good mahogany, for their effect.

I have noticed that most commercial faced boards have an ‘A’ side and a ‘B’ side, the better grain pattern being on the ‘A’ side. Sometimes with the ‘A’ side it is pot luck as far as grain pattern goes. Usually the ‘B’ side is roll cut and is an almost continuous sheet, sometimes the other side is quarter cut, sometimes not.

Most figured veneers are cut radially from the log, mostly quarter sawn (though not exclusively), so will only be as wide as the board it came from, minus the sapwood.

Hope this helps

asleitch":mlig4kg0 said:
Veneer faced MDF/plywood is a lot cheaper than that, about £50/60 I think when I last checked.

Adam

Got some 19mm veneered MDF just before xmas with Ash veneer on both sides for £80 for two sheets - delivered. Not bad and cheaper by far than buying the equivalent Ash board area.

If this is any help, a local supplier will sell a 8x4 sheet of MDF Ash veneered for €55 including VAT.

Back