Veneer pump

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
I have wanted to have a go at veneering, but the cost of the pump has put me off. However, found this earlier - anyone have any opinion as to if it is worth a go? A friend has the bags etc. but his pump was pinched when his workshop was broken into a few years ago.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3856054225

If the link doesn’t work it is “Vacuum Pump for Veneer Press Vacuum Compressor Pump Oil-Free Pump Vacuum Press” sold by structio-international

Thanks

If it's no good it's almost £130 down the pan and you'll still need to buy other bits to go with it, such as a hose, bag connector, base board etc. I used AirPress stuff in the trade years ago which is unquestionably the best gear out there. I've been using this pump for the last 15 years and have just upgraded to a polyurethane bag. Expensive stuff, but you can have confidence in it when you know that Rolls Royce have invested around £150K in their products - Rob

My reply seems to have disappeared.

Aeromodellers have for years used old fridge pumps to vacuum bag wings to veneer foam core wings, look on the Internet, plenty of examples there.

You can get much cheaper vacuum pumps these days, under £50 which I am sure would be fine for your needs.

If you're just dipping a toe into veneering then there's a lot to be said for trying alternative methods first, for example,

-hammer veneering with scotch glue
-iron-on glue film veneering
-veneering with a basic and simple, workshop made, press

I've done all of these and they all work, they don't need expensive tools or materials, and they teach you a huge amount about handling veneers and the various processes required for successful veneering.

I do loads of vac bag veneering with an Airpress set up. It can be excellent, but the fact is that you're working close to the limits of the adhesives, so absolutely everything has to be right with vac bag veneering or the job won't last that long.

The problem with taking a punt on a cheap compressor is that if things don't go to plan a veneering newbie won't know if it's the equipment or their technique that's causing the problem. That's why I say learn the craft of veneering with other methods before trying vac bag work.

Back