Veneer pins

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIY Stew

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get some very fine headless pins, I had some which I bought years ago which were about an inch long, headless and very brittle so you could actually snap them off after nail the two items together.

I think these were used for veneering but I may be wrong.

TIA

Stew

Tangential thought. Would dressmakers pins be any good for your application? They have heads and so easier to tap in and can be pulled out after the glue has gone off. I suspect any small holes that are visible would closed with a damp cloth and iron treatment.

Bob

Don't think they will be any good, I need to nail and glue moulding into the centre of a board, I have been using a nail gun but it sometimes damages the the face of the moulding. The pins I had were very brittle and you could tap them in and snap them off leaving only a little hole to fill, it must be 20 years since I bought them and I can't find them or remember where I got them from. Nice idea though Bob I will remember that if I ever do any veneering.

I will have to resort to the damp cloth and warm iron trick.

Stew

If the moulding you want to attach isn't very thick, try Model Railway 'track pins'. They are extremely sharp, and fine. They have flat heads, but in dark timbers you won't notice them, as they are the same colour as tacks.

The only other headless pins I've come across are entomological pins used for pinning insect specimens. (Messrs. Watkins & Doncaster) if they are still in business. These are very fine, and are bright steel, but more like needles; and I'm not sure they'd like to be hammered. (Maybe a 'Push-pin' would work.) I have some veneer pins, but whilst they aren't headless, they are very fine. When this relentless rain stops, I'll see if I can find the tin, and maybe drop youa few in the post?

John :)

John

Thanks for the offer but I found a box of veneer pins today with very small heads tried Andys idea (snip head off) and it worked a treat (thanks for that Andy).

Now why didn't I think of that!

Cheers

Stew

DIY Stew":dfiiz0fx said:
John

Thanks for the offer but I found a box of veneer pins today with very small heads tried Andys idea (snip head off) and it worked a treat (thanks for that Andy).

Now why didn't I think of that!

Cheers

Stew

No Probs Stew. Glad to hear you managed to get the job done.

Cheers
John :)

Latest posts

Back