Veneer onto plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings all

Well I need some hardwood 'trim' to dress up a box/unit indoors, 'no problem' thinks I - I'll go online and order some par wood, cut/finish/fit and job done with minimal agro. 'wont cost much' was also a phrase wanding round my empty head at the same time, small sizes fairly thin...

So off round the net I go, got some rosewood furniture in the next room - I'll get some of that... a boring browse round shows nobody has any online, 'maybe some walnut then' that should look ok with a dark stain and some semi gloss varnish... 'thats a bit steep, sapele's cheeper I think' well you can guess the rest #-o

Being a lifelong bodger and softwood or salvage timber user I have had very little call to be buying nice bits of hardwood, the prices for what I consider small stupid bits was a bit of a haddock to the face :)

So using a veneer on some plywood is the new 'idea', most of the trim I wanted was to be simple flat profiles anyhow - anything else can be done away with. I have some 4mm ply hanging round and have seen some suitable veneers online, can anybody see why I shouldnt have a go with this?

(For an idea of size the bits I need are roughly 4"x28")

Your thoughts are welcome...

Nothing wrong with veneering plywood, its a good base. Have you tried your local double glazing companies. They often have scrap hardwood frames they are happy to get rid of.

Hi

Had a bit of a dig though the garage and found some bits of door frame that are 'hardwood' - what wood it is exactly I dont know (think off the shelf external frame from builders merchant) :duno:

But before I start ripping that down I think I want to have a go at veneering this plywood, havent tried it before but I will have a go. Not sure if I should try some of the ready glued stuff or go the whole hog and get some seperate glue etc

Any thoughts?

You will need to veneer both sides or it will bend.

You need a flat bed (thick MDF) something to take up any variations in the veneer/ply such as a piece of old blanket, waxed paper to prevent the glue overspill sticking on both sides, so the sandwich is;

MDF
Blanket
Paper
Veneer
Ply
Veneer
Paper
Blanket
MDF

And lots of weight on top

Andy

Back