Veneer identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rufus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Working on a little project to restore this old box. Any thoughts on what wood the veneer is?
IMG_1724.jpeg

Difficult to know what the era is. The veneer around the edge I agree could be walnut, but what about the centre? Is that elm or possibly cherry?

it doesn't have the colour of cherry, also are we talking english cherry or american?

Colourwise, I that could be as a result of it being old, dirty and has quite a lot of finish on it. Certainly holding it against some cherry veneer I have, the centre grain looks very similar. I'm having doubts on the edge pieces being walnut now having put some walnut veneer again it. 'Tis a mystery.

I do not think it was a usual veneer when that was made Giantbeat...but then I don't know how old you are......
Just out of interest, what did you use it for?

i work in musical drums.... so i have used it on new builds as requested by the client, but also we do find it in Old drums, i do alot of restoration & replication work, must European drums are made from birch, beech & mahogany... but Elm & Chestnut are also quite commonly found on drums made between 1930 - 1970.

i work in musical drums.... so i have used it on new builds as requested by the client, but also we do find it in Old drums, i do alot of restoration & replication work, must European drums are made from birch, beech & mahogany... but Elm & Chestnut are also quite commonly found on drums made between 1930 - 1970.
Thanks gb.... understand the tag now.
So many questions.....
Does the wood species matter to the sound? I assume so. ....& other factors such as the glue you use.
Always interesting to hear about the way other folk use wood.
Cheers

Back