Veneer identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Rufus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Working on a little project to restore this old box. Any thoughts on what wood the veneer is?
IMG_1724.jpeg

Rufus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Difficult to know what the era is. The veneer around the edge I agree could be walnut, but what about the centre? Is that elm or possibly cherry?

Rufus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Colourwise, I that could be as a result of it being old, dirty and has quite a lot of finish on it. Certainly holding it against some cherry veneer I have, the centre grain looks very similar. I'm having doubts on the edge pieces being walnut now having put some walnut veneer again it. 'Tis a mystery.

giantbeat

Established Member
Reaction score
I do not think it was a usual veneer when that was made Giantbeat...but then I don't know how old you are......
Just out of interest, what did you use it for?

i work in musical drums.... so i have used it on new builds as requested by the client, but also we do find it in Old drums, i do alot of restoration & replication work, must European drums are made from birch, beech & mahogany... but Elm & Chestnut are also quite commonly found on drums made between 1930 - 1970.

whereistheceilidh

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
i work in musical drums.... so i have used it on new builds as requested by the client, but also we do find it in Old drums, i do alot of restoration & replication work, must European drums are made from birch, beech & mahogany... but Elm & Chestnut are also quite commonly found on drums made between 1930 - 1970.
Thanks gb.... understand the tag now.
So many questions.....
Does the wood species matter to the sound? I assume so. ....& other factors such as the glue you use.
Always interesting to hear about the way other folk use wood.
Cheers