Veneer Diamond Match

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tring

Reaction score
Hi, friend of mine suggested your site for its breadth of topics so here I am with a veneer layout question.

I'm starting to veneer and do marquetry (window not scroll saw method).

Done square bordered panel with diamond matched sapelle no problem apart from daughter purloined for new house.

My trouble is that I can do everything I need including cutting 1/16 stringers and greek keys but for the life of me I cannot layout/make up a rectangular diamond match centre for a panel.

I have 3 books on veneering and one on marquetry but all give square matches

I need 11 1/12 long by 8 1/2 wide straight grain diamond match panel centre (with corner fans and stringing to come on outside border.)

within reason I can buy any veneer I need to accomplish it.(dark rosewood looks nice)

Used 4 strips in Sketchup to cut and place when doing square but I cannot work it out for rectangle (may not be 4 strips but square uses 4)

Went back to spare spray masking craft rolls 18 inches by 25 metre to use for cut and try but I'm getting no where again.

Would be great if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thank you for the opportunity to ask.

Tring

match_diamond.jpg

Is it not a case of rotating the four sections to elongate the north south axis.
match_diamond[2].jpg

Attachments

• match_diamond[2].jpg
    match_diamond[2].jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 282
Thank you for your kind reply,

I've tried something along those lines but I get a stretched / shortened view across the either length or width depending on how I approach it.
and I have no idea of sizes required to obtain the finished L/W etc.

A friend of mine has given me use of his obsolete photobucket to play with, if it works and does'nt screw up my setup then I'll set my own up so until then I have uploaded a page that got me started in figuring it out for square panels, leaf 1 to 4 are the 4 lengths of veneer (long grain dir)and double 1 of them gives me my size on the button, getting me to tape up stage.

Lets see if this access to the image works instead of all words.

page not allowed http:/ for me :/s777.photobucket. com /albums/ yy60 /lemop036 / ?action= view&current = diam01.j p g :
rules of the board if I read the rules correctly

Lets hope so.

diam01.jpg

I was assuming you were working with sheet material, rather than trying to draw it, personally I'd rather spend the time assembling than trying to manipulate a drawing package.

Hi Tring,

I have done this quite a few times. My solution was to divide the panel into eight as so:

diamonds.jpg

It therefore takes eight consecutive leaves to produce this (or sixteen to make a matching pair). Calculate the dimensions of the triangle and cut them out. The centre ones are book-matched and the outer ones are rotated to form a rectangle with sides at 90 degrees. There is pretty well only one way of producing a proper rectangle so don't panic if you get into a pickle. I suggest staggering the centre pieces, e.g. clockwise 1,2,4,3 so that the pattern doesn't drift too far out. If you are cutting them on a table saw, don't make the mistake of cutting towards the right angled corner as, even with all precautions, it's easy to smash off the delicate, cross-grain corner.

Here's an example I made a while ago. HTH.

Walnuttankoriginal.jpg

John

RE: CHJ

Sorry you did not see I had assembled in my first post, but @ 96GBP per fletch I do not just wing it.
My background is in electronics not wood, but I enjoy the learning aspect of any task.
I was taught to prove my projects be it code, discrete or digital components (that shows my age)
A quick search for sketchup shows its well used in this place

If I can design a square with diamond grain then I'll find a way to do it with a rectangle

I'd rather design and get it right and on cost, than to assemble and hope.

Two differing points of view, I wish us both well with each our own.

RE: Moz

Thank you Moz thats a great suggestion which I think is going to cure my problem. I take your point regarding staggering the centre pieces, read about that in one of these books.

That fish tank (poor word for beautiful furniture) is superb, I love the grain refraction 1/4's on the lower right.

Off to sort daughters laptop today but I will be trying your suggestion out tonight.

Many thanks to both for the help messages.

Back