Velcro on Orbital Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAW911

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Skil Orbital Sander 125mm which has suddenly started throwing my Abranet discs. The velcro surface on teh sanding pad needs replacing - how best to go about this please? Whilst I cannot find my model anymore, there are a number of pads available on the net which look very similar - but the four locating screw holes in the centre need to be exactly right. Has anyone tried sanding off the velco hooks and applying a self-adhesive velcro pad on top?

I just super glue on a new velcro pad to the old one. I now also use pad savers which is essentially another piece of double sided velcro. When this wears you just replace with another. A lot easier that wearing down the velcro on the sander. I believe Axminster sell them.

Thanks Skinny - that sounds a great idea. Where do you get the initial vecro pad that you superglue on please?

Do you mean buy a sheet and cut to size/perforate? I imagined the actual 125mm size might be available pre-cut? Ok thanks

You can get ready made backing pads that stick to your original velcro, in your case clean off whats left and simply glue the replacement on with a contact adhesive (y):)

My Makita one finally gave up last month (as in the foam disintegrated), 40% of the price of a new machine for just the foam pad with Velcro… so I took a punt on an £8 one from eBay, now the previous one lasted years of abuse and I’ve only just got the new one, but I’m thinking I can buy 6 of them for the price of an original, it’s probably worth it.

I’d buy a new pad and maybe repair the other out of curiosity. If you’re using abranet you know the value of decent sanding stuff

Back