Velcro on Orbital Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

JAW911

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Skil Orbital Sander 125mm which has suddenly started throwing my Abranet discs. The velcro surface on teh sanding pad needs replacing - how best to go about this please? Whilst I cannot find my model anymore, there are a number of pads available on the net which look very similar - but the four locating screw holes in the centre need to be exactly right. Has anyone tried sanding off the velco hooks and applying a self-adhesive velcro pad on top?

SkinnyB

Established Member
Reaction score
I just super glue on a new velcro pad to the old one. I now also use pad savers which is essentially another piece of double sided velcro. When this wears you just replace with another. A lot easier that wearing down the velcro on the sander. I believe Axminster sell them.

JAW911

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Skinny - that sounds a great idea. Where do you get the initial vecro pad that you superglue on please?

JAW911

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you mean buy a sheet and cut to size/perforate? I imagined the actual 125mm size might be available pre-cut? Ok thanks

MARK.B.

Established Member
Reaction score
You can get ready made backing pads that stick to your original velcro, in your case clean off whats left and simply glue the replacement on with a contact adhesive (y):)

TheTiddles

Established Member
Reaction score
My Makita one finally gave up last month (as in the foam disintegrated), 40% of the price of a new machine for just the foam pad with Velcro… so I took a punt on an £8 one from eBay, now the previous one lasted years of abuse and I’ve only just got the new one, but I’m thinking I can buy 6 of them for the price of an original, it’s probably worth it.

I’d buy a new pad and maybe repair the other out of curiosity. If you’re using abranet you know the value of decent sanding stuff