Vauxhall Astra van

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Designer1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Ben looking at some vans and come across a few Astra vans, the lowdown estate type. Anyone had any experience? Can you fit an 8x4 sheet in the back is a main concern. I'm sort of thinking it won't fit but thought I'd ask incase I'm wrong.

Cheers, Designer

Can't say about late Astra vans but up until about 6 years ago I had a 1998 Astra estate as a vehicle we used for all the dirty jobs you don't want to do with your car. I could get an amazing amount of stuff in it but it would not take an 8x4 sheet inside but it would take them on the roof bars.

you can if you cut it up into 1376 mm strips. That's the max load width according to the manual

I'd think you will struggle with any van smaller than a transit custom or vw transporter size.

I've have many estate cars and put plywood on the roof rack.

Cheers James

the smallest van you can get an 8x4 in that I know of is nv200 2800x1500 in the right trim

I think you might find an old Volvo estate that'd take an 8 by 4, and indeed, I seem to remember my sorely missed Vauxhall Carlton estate did. Apart from that, I think you'll struggle.
As was said. Get some roof bars. I've hauled any number of 8 by 4 sheets of MDF, ply, PIR insulation on the roof bars of my not so sorely missed Mercedes C class estate.

Agree with the shouts about a roof rack. Even if you have a transit sized van it is usually far easier to lash 8x4's on the roof than move everything around to put them inside.

The one thing I would say is if you are putting thin 8x4's on the roof rack then use a couple of lengths of timber to brace the sheets.

One thing about putting sheets on the roofracks- tie them down side to side along the roof-racks- but put a strap around the very front, all the way around and clipped to itself and then tightened, and then use that to tie down to the front bumper/underneath- saves the ever popular- 'lets watch sheets bend up at the front and fly into the air' so common on youtube....

Awesome thanks for the replies, looks like the roof rack is the way to go,

Thanks,
Designer1

Back