Vastly improved extraction on the table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScouseKev

Established Member
Reaction score
As much as i like my T/S, its a Deft T30 , the dust collection from the cabinet below is next to useless.

So in keeping with the rest the extraction changes i'm trying to implement, i decided it had to change.
Currently its just a 100mm port at the wrong side of the cabinet.
001.JPG

002.JPG

Watching where the dust and chippings landed made it obvious that any extraction had to be from directly below as the side port was just too far away.

But with limited space beneath the motor it needed to be a shallow fitting. After a trip down to the local builders merchants, i decided on this.
Its a 270 x 200mm Drain hopper / Grid, attached to a 110mm soil pipe fitting called a "P" trap
004.JPG

A split 12mm MDF shelf supports the hopper. The height of the P trap was just right for fitting through the existing port in the cabinet side
006.JPG

Now for what turned out to be the start of the tricky parts, assembling it inside.
Even left as it is in the photo below, it still extracted about 70% of the dust, which is 70% more than it previously did.
All the dust that was missed was located forward of the hopper, nothing at all was left on the shelf on the far side.
007.JPG

Next the walls of the cabinet had to mirror the walls of the hopper and slope inwards to channel the dust down, so i came up with this.
010.JPG

And assembling it inside was a bit of a nightmare.
008.JPG

The right and left hand sides went in ok... but the motor prevented the 3rd side from being the same height, due to it moving when you want to tilt the blade . So it had to be lowered by 3" from the photo below.
009.JPG

At this point about 95% of the dust was being captured.
A flexible sheet was needed to be suspended from the inside top of the cabinet allowing the motor to move freely to 45-deg.
A quick look around the kitchen revealed the lightly candidates, my wifes chopping boards.
With some friendly negotiation she conceded 2 of her 4 boards with the promise of replacements.

011.JPG

The chopping boards worked a treat with all but the very finest particles going into the extractor.
Removing the blade insert from the table top and blowing it all out with an air line sorted that out.

Quite a basic little job but it's made a big difference.
I hope it helps a few of you.
thanks Kev

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 1,522
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 1,540
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 1,544
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 1,542
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 1,524
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 1,524
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 1,524
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 1,544
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 1,542
Hi kev

My SIP needs a similar sorting when I can find time and, being a builder I have surplus drainage fittings available :)
The only query I would have is the use of a trap rather than just standard bends. Does the sawdust not collect in the trap and potentially block it?

Thanks for the post - definately has set the motivation juices flowing :lol:

Bob

Thats very impressive. I can appreciate how hard it must have been to work inside the cabinet.

I have to say since upgrading to the 3hp extractor (the same one you have I think you said earlier?) I don't get any dust on the floor below my SIP 10" table saw anymore. Before it used to pile up and up and up.

Thanks for that chems.

Bob.
No the dust doesn't appear to clogg the bends at all.

I would have much preferred to use a 90-deg straight out of the bottom of the hopper, but that would have meant cutting a hole in the bottom of the cabinet.

I really wanted to avoid this as, i have a fabricated mobile base mounted on each side of the cabinet, you can probably see it on the photos.
So the only option would have been coming out of the front, which would have got in the way or out the back, and i have a large rolling storage cabinet which fits underneath the rear outfeed table, so again it would have got in the way.

if it does prove a problem, then i'll make some kind of modification and sort it.

cheers

Kev:

Nice work, particularly in a tight spot.

Do you think it's really necessary to use the cutting boards? A little dust left inside the cabinet isn't going to hurt anything, and you probably won't have to suck it out with shop vacuum more than once a year. And you'd probably be better off getting in there yearly anyway just to clean and lube the blade tilt and raise gears.

Kirk

Hi Kirk.

Yeh i have to say you are right, but to my own detriment i have a strong perfectionist streak.

Just looked at your new extraction system...HUGE...

I lived in the States for the 3yrs in Lake Placid Upstate NY. Toolwise, we are still stream powered in the uk compared with you.
Carpenters still use something called a hammer to drive nails :)

cheers

Hi Kev

Looks great. I was trying to do something similair with my Xcalibur t/s, but not having your perfectionist streak I took the easy route and added greater suction by upgrading the extractor and using 6" ducting. I did, however, stuff some excess loft insulation in the gaps between where the t/s top meets the cabinet (big source of leakage on my saw).

Cheers

Karl

ScouseKev":o88wvi59 said:
I would have much preferred to use a 90-deg straight out of the bottom of the hopper, but that would have meant cutting a hole in the bottom of the cabinet.

I see your reasoning now Kev :)

Easier for me as I have some pipe offcut plus straight and bend fittings so can achieve it without problem. Might even have a hopper somewhere though that's the cheapest bit of the drainage - those traps ain't cheap!

Bob

Hi Karl.

Good to hear from you.
Those hand painted kitchens you make look pretty close to perfect to me.

What extractor have upgraded to now?
I saw your post showing the mods you'd made by blocking off the top bag and placing the extractor above the cyclone. Sounds like it was a good move.

When i bought my extractor i had the choice of 2 100mm outlets or 1 150mm. I went for the 2 x 100mm which i now regret as i want to 150 or 125mm put ducting in the shop.

Cheers mate
Kev

ScouseKev":vs5sq7vv said:
What extractor have upgraded to now?
I saw your post showing the mods you'd made by blocking off the top bag and placing the extractor above the cyclone. Sounds like it was a good move.

When i bought my extractor i had the choice of 2 100mm outlets or 1 150mm. I went for the 2 x 100mm which i now regret as i want to 150 or 125mm put ducting in the shop.

Cheers mate
Kev

It's still the Axi 2200 (no longer available), but putting 6" ducting on it made a huge difference. I don't have crown guard extraction the t/s but still very little dust escapes. Very pleased with it.

Cheers

Karl

Kev

Before you made this modification were you getting any dust coming up with the blade onto the table top (not sure if you have a crown guard extraction point) and if so has your modification reduced / eliminated it?

Hi Charlie.

Yes quite a bit of dust before this mod was done but this has eliminated a good 75%.

i may try a zero clearance insert at some point, but at the moment i just have extraction on the blade guard.

cheers Kev

Back