varnishising a frame

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I got chucked out of the kitchen on my last project because the varnishising odour was polluting the kitchen.

In the past I have always suspended a picture frame being varnished witha loop of string from a hook to the ceiling.

Having being evicted and back in the workshop I needed another way to hold a picture frame needing a coat of varnish and not wanting to touch the frame with my hands, particularly the last frame edge.

So I got out two offcuts from the waste bin that fitted the rebated frame underside as per pictures attached.

framejig1w.jpg

framejig2w.jpg

framejig3w.jpg

That's a very smart way to make good use of the rebates, I must say. I bet it doesn't 'wobble' or move like any other piece would when suspended by a couple of offcuts. :?

I also notice the heater in the background! You must have to keep it running for hours so this cold weather doesn't hit the finish, right?

That's one thing I hate about this weather - I can build things, but I cannot apply a finish. :(

I would ask how you're going to cope with covering the rebated side, but I guess you need not bother if it's only going to go againt a wall. :D

Yes its on the wall . The backside had a piece of hardboard cut to fit the aperture and then I like to make sure the frame won't come
apart ( :oops: ) by placing another sheet of mounting board that laps the whole backside of the frame.

Couple of pics attached, to avoid reflection I had to lay the frame with embroidery on the floor when taking the photograph. I think the corner frame picture has the packing pice which was needed to close the gap, but I am having difficulty working out which corner for sure.

mitre2w.jpg

kingfrmew.jpg

Back