Varnish MDF?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belto

Reaction score
Hi I am slowly progressing with Ian Daziels Router Table and the laminate top seems to be uneconomical at £30.00+ for a full sheet.
Considering I shall be using it as a DIY would it be possible to treat the MDF top with MDF preparation and also several coats of Varnish.
Would this be tough enough and also would the treatment cause the MDF to distort.

I guess it would be OK, but you'd need to seal and varnish all round.

I'd reconsider the laminate option - it would be harder wearing. Try adding up the cost of the bits for the table and the cost of the router (and bits) and then see if the £30 seems like a lot extra on the price of the whole thing.

Pete

Belto
I've never had problems with varnishing MDF in this kind of application. I've also applied a coat of danish oil instead and then a good waxing. Both work well-but wax is really recommended for a slippery surface.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Hi thanks for your suggestions. Problem solved .
I went along to the supplier of laminates and stated my case. They suggested if I was not worried about colour why not use backing laminate.
Used to provide support to a frame on the front /good side to stop warping.
Idea @ £5..0 + vat for a 10' x 4' sheet :D

Are you stilll after the laminated top. I'm building my overtop at the moment with high gloss (dry wipe) laminate for the surface. This is ideal for an overtop plus gives the use as a dry wipe board for working out. Let me know the size and i can work into my cuts, as long as i have the offcut size.

LyNx

Hi Tim
the supplier was
Bristol Decorative Surfaces Ltd Tel No. 0117 954 2120
White Liner 3050 x 1235 total £5.88

Latest posts

Back