Variable speed controller on a Hegner multicut 2S

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hegner UK is now run by W F Education Group. They are helpful but I feel not as knowledgeable with regards the machines. They didn’t offer a repair service and told me the prices for spare parts are determined by Hegner gmbh. The speed controller spare part is not in stock in the UK and would have to be ordered from Germany
The original HegnerUK was run by Nigel Voisey and Roger Buse who created the VB36 Lathe hence the name VB

The original HegnerUK was run by Nigel Voisey and Roger Buse who created the VB36 Lathe hence the name VB

I found Roger Buse very helpful, when I bought my Hegner in 1999 he sent me his video on Scrollsawing.
unfortunately I can't share it as it is on a VHS tape and I have no means of converting it.
IMG_20220430_101708.jpg

I found Roger Buse very helpful, when I bought my Hegner in 1999 he sent me his video on Scrollsawing.
unfortunately I can't share it as it is on a VHS tape and I have no means of converting it.
View attachment 134997
I have a number of scroll saw books from various authors and I watch quite a few utube videos on the subject, and been practicing scroll sawing myself for approx 3 years, not all the time though as I also do wood turning. I tend to do my scroll sawing in the winter months when I can bring the scroll saw into the conservatory and it doesn’t make too much mess, whereas my lathe is too big to move and makes a lot more mess so that stays in the garage. The reason I bought the Hegner is because quite a few of the authors recommend them and I would like to see what all the fuss is about and compare it to the one I have. I will then sell on the non preferred one.

For those that have been following this thread. After getting a price from Hegner UK for a new speed controller for £187, Myfordman offered to have a look at my speed controller for me and we’ve been in contact offline since. I packed the motor and speed controller up and sent it to him. This was about 2 weeks ago. This morning the motor arrived back in perfect working order. I spent the morning putting the scroll saw back together and have been using the scroll saw this afternoon. I have to say it is a quality item with virtually no vibration. I would like to say here a big thank you to Myfordman for repairing my speed controller.

Good to know that you have it all back up together and running sweetly Ray.
I've learned a lot during the repair of the controller and am in the process of writing up all I know about it together with a trouble shooting guide (motor & controller only) and will publish it soon with a link here. If nothing else, other users should have a choice between paying the extortionate prices Hegner charge for spares and doing a little work for themselves.

The write up on the Hegner speed controller has now been issued and version 1.1 is located here Login - Dropbox

Alternatively use TheWoodHaven2 • Index page and the dropbox link at the top right of all pages.

Should there be any updates made they will be available using the same link.

I don't have a Hegner, so am not directly involved, but for those that do, I would say a big THANKS is due for making the info freely available.

The write up on the Hegner speed controller has now been issued and version 1.1 is located here Login - Dropbox

Alternatively use TheWoodHaven2 • Index page and the dropbox link at the top right of all pages.

Should there be any updates made they will be available using the same link.

I would like to have seen this info but unfortunately I could not get it from any of the three links. the last link to Google drive just said the file is with the author and no access was given? :)

I would like to have seen this info but unfortunately I could not get it from any of the three links. the last link to Google drive just said the file is with the author and no access was given? :)
I don’t know why that should be. I’ve had it independently tested by someone pc based, who is not a wood haven member and it opened just fine.

I have a number of scroll saw books from various authors and I watch quite a few utube videos on the subject, and been practicing scroll sawing myself for approx 3 years, not all the time though as I also do wood turning. I tend to do my scroll sawing in the winter months when I can bring the scroll saw into the conservatory and it doesn’t make too much mess, whereas my lathe is too big to move and makes a lot more mess so that stays in the garage. The reason I bought the Hegner is because quite a few of the authors recommend them and I would like to see what all the fuss is about and compare it to the one I have. I will then sell on the non preferred one.
Just for the sake of conversation, I have 2 Excaliburs and a Hegner similar to yours. I love all 3 and have no intentions of parting with any of them. They all have their attributes. I could probably do without the 16 inch EX but I got a heck of a deal on it so it just is here. Once you get your Hegner working, and not knowing what your other saw is, I'd recommend thinking twice about parting with either of them. There will be a day when you might need a second saw.

Just for the sake of conversation, I have 2 Excaliburs and a Hegner similar to yours. I love all 3 and have no intentions of parting with any of them. They all have their attributes. I could probably do without the 16 inch EX but I got a heck of a deal on it so it just is here. Once you get your Hegner working, and not knowing what your other saw is, I'd recommend thinking twice about parting with either of them. There will be a day when you might need a second saw.
You’re right, I do like them both and they both have different attributes which means I may very well end up keeping both. I particularly like the foot switch on the Hegner

Back