Variable Pitch plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
I was checking out the Bridge City catalog and happened to come across their new Variable Pitch plane. Pretty interesting. I don't own, nor can I afford, any of their tools but it's neat to see something that we've all thought about actually put into production.

large1.jpg

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/pages_static/vp-60.html

Dave,
Interesting and expensive!

I once nearly bought a tool by Bridge City but their absolutely hopeless website and the vile shopping system put me right off. I also sent detailed comments on what was wrong to them and even got a reply acknowledging that some of my criticisms were valid in their view - sad to say they appear still not to have done anything about it.

$1500 = 1 Plane - 2 minutes to change angle.

or:-

$1500 = 6 to 8 LV/LN planes - 3 seconds to change angle.

H'mmm... I know where my dosh would go. I can't help thinking that however clever the designer is, he somehow missed the point a little bit. One has to admire the sublime quality though.

Ike

I think I'll ask Ian Dalziel to knock one out for me on his CNC machine....... :wink:
Go on Ian, you know you want to! :lol:
Philly :D

Philly":2jaoiiy5 said:
I think I'll ask Ian Dalziel to knock one out for me on his CNC machine....... :wink:
Go on Ian, you know you want to! :lol:
Philly :D

Hey woodkateer, you mean to say you don't have one on order? :) :) :)

I have a few BC items, and they always seemed to me not to have been deeply thought out. Pretty but not proven. I have never had one of their planes.

Ulmia used to have, may still, a plane with adjustable bed, possibly a version of their reform smoothing plane. Never used it, but wanted one just as they were tipping over. The German smoothers are really excellent, for real world work. I hope they bring it back. Wasn't a bad price when compared to some of the ones ECE makes that just have a few scraps of fancy wood in them. ECE is execelent also.

Back