Value of kit?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
After 3+ months out of the workshop, I've realised I'm in no hurry to get back to turning. I had a plan in mind when I started and seem to have exhausted it, so probably time to move on to something else. To keep the lathe working effectively costs money, in that I can't use it properly at home so rent space in a shared workshop.
Sooo, do you mind casting an eye over these used prices for me? I don't want to sell separately, far too much work, but if I can get the individual values about right I can come up with a fair price for a package.
The lathe is a beauty I think, the last thing I turned was a 23" bowl which it handled easily.
Thanks.

Roberty Sorby RS II lathe with large bowl attachment and original electronic speed control - £600
Axminster Evolution SK114 chuck and jaws (boxed) - £120
Record Power SC3 Geared Scroll Chuck Package (boxed) - £70
3 further chucks
Record Power HVLP extractor with fine filter - £100
RS Pro Edge plus some extra bits - £220
Trend Airshield Pro - £150
½” bowl gouge (Axminster Premium) - £25
3/8” bowl gouge (Axminster Premium) n- £25
6-piece RS gouge set (little used, some unused, boxed) - £90
2x face rings for 114 chuck

I don't expect anyone to have thoughts on all of the prices, but if any individual thing looks wrong, let me know your thoughts? Ta.

Can I suggest you look at what your lathe and bits are going for on eBay. Put the items on a watch list and see how quickly they sell for. A package deal, buyer collects is usual. I had a load of hardly use wood working kit to dispose off and in the end donated it to the local Man’s Shed. Anyway good luck.

From my experience as secretary of an active woodturning club for 18 years, I'd say those prices are pretty much spot on.

We've found that where items are in current production, half the current price is about right, so to take a few of your items as examples: The AXI SK114 body (no jaws) is currently £359. The Trend Air-Pro is £238.80. The RS Pro Edge is £503. Powered items not in current production - lathes, bandsaws, grinders and the like - if in working order and good condition, about 1/3 the price of a current model. Chisels and gouges (if they're Sorby, Hamlet, Ashley Isles etc), and little used, half current price. If much shorter than full length, 1/3rd to 1/4 of new price.

Lathes which don't have electronic variable speed, only belt change, (such as Record Power models with bed bars), are difficult to sell at any price,, but yours has variable speed and is more up market, but I'm not sure of its age and unless I'm mistaken, isn't in current production.

I think you'll find it next to impossible to sell it all as a job lot.

Given your location, you might like to contact the Cardiff Woodturning Club to seek their advice and whether any of their members might be interested. We're often approached by non-members of our Club (East Yorkshire Woodturners) for advice. We suggest that they take photographs and list the items, which we'll put on our notice board.

Where someone has passed away and has a workshop full of often neglected obsolete equipment, and their next of kin just want it out of the way, we suggest that they contact a local auction house to dispose of it for them, or donate the equipment to 'Tools With a Mission,' (TWAM) who refurbish old tools, put them into kits, send them out to Africa where they train and equip people to become self reliant.

Cardiff has an active club which meets on Monday and Thursday each week, whereas most clubs meet just once a month.

It's one of several active woodturning Clubs in Wales. Here are the contact details:

Cardiff & District Woodcraft Club & Turners
Anthony Denning
Contact Tel
02920 303340
Contact Email
[email protected]
Days: Monday and Thursday each week
Time
7pm
Address
Vision 21, Gabalfa Community Workshop, Gabalfa, Cardiff
Postcode
CF14 4HY

I hope that might help a bit.

Every success in disposing of your equipment.

Prices look OK to me.

I can see why you want to sell as a job lot, but total is close to £1500 once you put mumbers by the unpriced items in the list and not many will be able or prepared to shell out that much in a single pre-owned purchase. You might get lucky, but the market for the lathe is likely to be people upgrading from beginner kit so they might already have the other stuff.

Maybe you can split into 'packages' - perhaps lathe, chucks, dust, other stuff, and advertise as such with a "£x off the total" if you take all of it. That gives you 4 sets of hassle, better than 12 not as good as 1, but gives you a bigger target market.

If you look at the kit that Custard is selling in the for sale section, prices seem very fair and it gets snapped up quickly - too quickly, I keep missing out :( - but nobody is shelling out a big lot of £££ in a single transaction.

Ditto re prices. I sold just about all of my stuff via Gumtree in 'lots' as has been suggested, strictly cash on collection with no problems. All i have left now is a quantity of various woods (spalted slabs/spindle mostly) and turning accessory tools (mandrels, bushes etc) Just need to find the time to advertise it on the selling page on this forum.

Nick

I came hunting for this thread as I finally decided to sell the kit and knew I'd done some sums here! Ha, sorry, I missed the resuscitation of the thread. After the original post, I decided to set the lathe up in the garage and focus on smaller turnings, so I hung on to it. Since then, I've gradually been squeezed out of the garage by my son who's filling it with bits of car - that combined with a bit of a health issue means it now has to go. And thanks for the replies! C

I think you'll find it next to impossible to sell it all as a job lot.
Every success in disposing of your equipment.
I strongly agree with this.

The minute you bundle it, you will exclude most active turners who will already have a lot of this kit. They won't want the hassle and risk of buying all of it and selling on what they don't want.
After all, you don't want the hassle of selling it so why should anyone else - unless you sell it cheap enough that they make a good (double their money good) profit on those items they have to sell on.

Many beginners who have next to no kit will be reluctant to buy a big bundle because they don't know if it's right for them / aren't hooked on the hobby enough to spend big in one go.

And we all have different opinions about tools so some things in your bundle that you love are quite likely to be dismissed as "junk" by others. They may well be interested in a couple of your pieces but will place no value on others. The price for a big mixed bundle will have to reflect that to attract a buyer.

Well, we'll see how it goes, I can always separate it later if necessary - but I don't think anyone would describe any of the kit I've listed as 'junk'! It's all good quality kit, and the lathe is a stunner.

Back