valuation of damaged 3phase compressor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe90

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have a compressor which is damaged and I have a guy who repairs them, he is interested in buying it, I am wondering what it may be worth.

I bought it second hand along with the contents of an entire workshop so I'm not sure of its value.

There is damage as shown on the second picture, it is serious... i don't know the name of the component but it is split... it looks like a motor casing. It is not the 3 phase motor part of the compressor, it is the other large part on the machine. (where the oil goes)(marked in purple)

comp1.jpg

comp2.jpg

Some technical specs.
Model CompAir Propack 1210-270 SY manufactured 2001 (in storage for 2.5 years)
3 phase induction motor, 7.5KW = 10HP (2,900 rev/min)
233 hours on time counter. (this must be low..)
Tank=270L rated at 11bar.
it also says 1210 L/min on it, this must be free air delivery (or whatever)

So if anyone can give any indication of what this would be worth either new, or secondhand in working order, or as it is now (in need of serious repair and a rebuild)

I also have a dryer unit, Compair F12H which is matched to this compressor, I am considering selling this at the same time.

Cheers
Joe

Joe: Your right that is serious. For a crack to occur in the compressor crankcase in that location, something rather nasty has happened inside. My guess that whatever it was it caused the compressors' crankshaft to shift toward that end cracking the housing. Compair, on this side of the ocean is known more for the manufacture of rotatory vane compressors rather than reciprocating such as this one.
This appears to have been a "shop compressor" & likely positioned in a corner somewhere or even in a separate room to shut off the noise of it running from the working area. Often in this situation the order taker who sold the machine new did not equip it with a low oil pressure shut down switch & with the machine out of sight & often forgotten for even basic maintenance it could have run out of oil with a high heat build up causing the crankshaft to expand longtitudanally...hence the cracked crankcase. Value....no guess sorry.

Lee

Looks to me like trouble :?

best sell it for what you can get , it would need a new compressor , to be running again , thats if everything else is OK :?:

Time to wave goodbuy :wink:

The dryer may have some value but I doubt the compressor is worth more than scrap value.

When I was in business we had a large old Ingersol Rand compressor that had and would continue to work forever. We had to let it go though as in a commercial environment the regular inspection and certification requirements were going to cost more than buying a new one with its 3 year inspection holiday. We gave it to the supplier of the new machine for nothing.

I doubt something the size of the your compressor will be used for hobby activities where health and safety won't be so rigidly enforced.

I'm with Fecn, get a new pump, as a matched compressor and dryer are imho worth their weight in gold for the quality of air they deliver.

A new one will cost an arm and a leg, so ask around machine handlers for a new pump.

HS

Back