Valuable lesson learnt regarding laminating.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Some time ago I made some small doors for a wall mounted vanity unit and I only laminated one side of the 18mm birch ply (I found out sometime ago on here that it's a big no no)

The doors in question are 300mm square and I wanted to share an image of how one has twisted so badly that I'll need to remake them both.

Attachments

• IMG_20201026_184910981.jpg
    IMG_20201026_184910981.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 84
Some time ago I made some small doors for a wall mounted vanity unit and I only laminated one side of the 18mm birch ply (I found out sometime ago on here that it's a big no no)

The doors in question are 300mm square and I wanted to share an image of how one has twisted so badly that I'll need to remake them both.
Lot of reasons why it wouldn't work but if feasible, how about kerfing (not through edges) the back and gluing in slips to force it back to flat. Laminate after.
Cheers Andy

I know it's a bit late for you but any board that is faced must have the rear faced too. This is called 'balancing' and it prevents exactly what has happened to you.

Lot of reasons why it wouldn't work but if feasible, how about kerfing (not through edges) the back and gluing in slips to force it back to flat. Laminate after.
Cheers Andy

I have decided it's probably easier to remake the doors. Thankfully, I did laminate both sides of the doors on our under stairs cupboard that I made recently as that would have been a real pain.

Back