Vacuums: Festool CT22, Nilfisk Alto Attix 360-21, Fein QA35E

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pooka

Established Member
Reaction score
Having recently decided to get a new vacuum for my workshop, which would double as a vacuum for the house, I looked into some of the options available and narrowed down my choices to three products: the Festool CT22, the Nilfisk Alto Attix 360-21, and the Fein QA35E.

My primary needs/wants were:
  • a quiet motor with good air flow
  • variable suction
  • good capacity
  • power take-off socket for tools (with rating of at least 1800W), plus auto start/stop
  • good level of filtration (so that I can use it with the likes of MDF dust)
  • anti-static hose
  • reasonable size
  • reasonable price
  • availability of vacuum attachments (for use around the house)

In considering these machines I dug out as much information as I could to allow me to compare them. I thought I'd put together the details of the various vacuums in this thread in case anyone else finds themselves looking for the same info (some of it is not that easy to find, as it turns out). I should stress that the info that I put here is based on the written specs of the machines and on various reviews and opinions that I have read during my search (some of them from this forum) so although I think the info is accurate I can't be certain - for example, the prices can vary a lot (except for the Festool!) so I have given ballpark costs based on a few prices that I have seen, and noise levels and filtration levels are not always consistently reported either.

Hope this info is useful. If you spot any errors or have further info that I should add, I'll happily correct/add this post:

Fein QA35E
Specs (official specs available here):
  • Rough cost: £150 to £170
  • Capacity: 28L
  • Noise level: Don't know
  • Air volume/flow: 3300 litres/min
  • Max take-off power: 2,000W
  • Weight: 13kg
  • Dimensions (LxWxH): 360 x 360 x 610mm
  • Max power: 1,400W
  • Cleaning kit: Included
  • Filtration: 5 micron cloth filter comes as standard, 1 micron and 0.3 micron filters available as options
  • Variable suction?: Don't know
  • Auto start/stop?: Yes
  • Anti-static hose as standard?: No

This Fein seems to be the same as the Fein Turbo II model sold in the US. I found it difficult to find reviews of the UK model but there seem to be several reviews of the US model out there.

Fein reviews/info:

Nilfisk Alto Attix 360-21
  • Rough cost: £230 (or £199 at the moment from D&M Tools)
  • Capacity: 27L
  • Noise level: 59dB (as a rough guide, sounds about the same as a Numatic Henry vacuum)
  • Air volume/flow: 2600 litres/min
  • Max take-off power: 1,800W
  • Weight: 10kg
  • Dimensions (LxWxH): 390 x 380 x 570mm
  • Max power: 1,500W
  • Cleaning kit: About £50 for 36mm hose (not anti-static) plus tubes and attachments
  • Filtration: There is a specific model formally rated for the likes of MDF dust, which requires a built-in alarm for when the bag is full, etc. However, according to Nilfisk Alto this model will also safely handle MDF dust if you use a filter bag, you just have to be careful to keep track yourself of when the bag is full.
  • Variable suction?: Yes
  • Auto start/stop?: Yes. When power tool is turned off, vacuum continues to run for a few seconds to clear hose.
  • Anti-static hose as standard?: Yes, 27mm hose.

The Attix 3 range seem to be known as Attix 8 in the US.

Nilfisk Alto reviews/info:

Festool CT22
  • Rough cost: £363
  • Capacity: 22L
  • Noise level: 72dB
  • Air volume/flow: 3800 litres/min
  • Max take-off power: 2,400W
  • Weight: 13kg
  • Dimensions (LxWxH): 625 x 380 x 440mm
  • Max power: 1,200W
  • Cleaning kit:
  • Filtration: Not sure. Some reviews refer to this as a HEPA version, others (such as Axminster) specifically state that it is not rated for hazardous dust which I take to mean the likes of MDF dust. Perhaps, like the Nilfisk, this will handle MDF dust but just doesn't have the bells and whistles required by European regulations to market itself as such - probably a question to put to Festool/supplier if you are considering buying one.
  • Variable suction?: Yes
  • Auto start/stop?: Yes. When power tool is turned off, vacuum continues to run for a few seconds to clear hose.
  • Anti-static hose as standard?: Yes, 27mm hose.

Festool reviews/info:

Comparison
The Festool and Nilfisk Alto are very similar in terms of spec, it seems. For my purposes I ruled out the Fein for a few reasons but it is a well regarded machine in its own right. My eventual choice was the Nilfisk Alto Attix 360-21, as it seemed to be the best combination of features to suit my needs. It seems to give me the same features as the Festool for a better price, it has been confirmed that it will handle MDF dust, and its shape means that it takes up less floor space (albeit without being able to stack anything on top of it as you can with the Festool).

I only recently received the Nilfisk so I haven't had time to use it properly yet - as such I can't really say whether it lives up to my expectations but certainly my initial impressions are good so I expect that I won't be disappointed.

I wasn't able to find much in the way of reviews that compared these models, but here is some info that I did find:

Comparison reviews/info:

Having used the Nilfisk Alto a little recently (mostly for vacuuming the house, mind you!), I thought I'd give some brief feedback on it:

• The end of the hose fits my Festool tools perfectly. I have the TS55 saw and the OF1400 router and the fit is solid. I can only assume that the rotating rubber end of the hose is the same as that on the Festool vacuums.
  • When used with the TS55 the vacuum is at least as effective as using the Record Power DX4000 with both motors running (despite being a HVLP machine, the DX4000 worked well when used like this), but the noise level of the Nilfisk Alto is far lower.
  • The auto start/stop worked perfectly with my TS55, including the vacuum running for another few seconds after the saw had stopped.
  • It is good at vacuuming around the house too. The universal head that comes with the vacuuming kit (a £50 accessory kit) is basic but works well. Alternative heads are available, including turbine/power heads which are not cheap at about €140 over here. Ironically, the Festool turbine/power head is cheaper and I thank that some of the other Festool accessories are cheaper too - at least some, if not all, of the parts should be interchangeable though (one in particular that I don't know about is the interconnection between the hose and the vacuum - the Nilfisk Alto uses a push fit mechanism but I don't know about the Festool. Also the anti-static hose from one make might not mate with the anti-static strip on the vacuum from the other make).
  • For anyone that has a Numatic Henry, the noise of the Nilfisk Alto is very similar but easier on the ear. I'm not sure if the Alto is genuinely quieter though or whether it is just a slightly lower pitch for example.
  • The Nilfisk Alto has a sort of tool tray built into its top. It wouldn't hold many tools, and the carrying handle prevents you from sitting any other container on top, but it could be useful for small tools.

Pooka, could you do me a favour and measure the inside diameter of the rubber end of the hose on the Alto? On the Domino, the Festool hose fits over the extration fitting rather than inside it, and it would be interesting to see if this one would fit. Is the end fitting quite soft rubber?

Thanks - I never would have considered the Alto if it hadn't been for your comparison here :)

Cheers,
Neil

I have the 33 model Festool and have no trouble vacumming anything and its pretty quite too compared to my other vacs....Its got a good hepa filter too.Dust stays in the vac,I had to look twice to see if I was really sanding with my Rotex ,Yep it was doing a good job.

I have the CTL33 can't fail very quiet and powerfull lot of accesories, if you have other festool you can clip your systainer on top W/ 3 years gurantee is you must consider

Back