Vacuum pump suitability for Veneering and Wood Stabilising

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust=manglitter

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to do some wood stabilising to start with (with something like Cactus Juice), but would also like to future proof myself for when I inevitably want to get into some veneering in future. So do you think that this machine would be up to both jobs?

Specifications:
Pumping speed:4.2 CFM
Ultimate vacuum: 0.01 Pa
Rotating speed: 1440 Rpm
Oil capacity: 300 ML
Power: 1/2 HP

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BACOENG-220V ... itleDesc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BACOENG-Condit ... op?ie=UTF8

I cant spend a fortune on a big professional one, and ideally I would like to utilize the ebay 10% discount before 8pm tonight, so any comments or advise on your experiences would be very much appreciated before around 7pm tonight (03/08/18).

(I would have posted this in the Buying Advise section of the forum, but as I ideally need to come to a decision before 7pm tonight I thought I'd post it in the General Woodworking section as it seems to get more traffic)

Looks very similar to the one I have, very capable I use it for wood stabilization, resin casting and a vacuum chuck - ensure you buy some suitable vacuum pump oil as they rarely come with enough supplied. I also got an exhaust filter as the fumes can be pretty horrible when running for prolonged periods in the workshop. All in it was a great buy and has proved faultless. There are many similar models so I guess they all come from China but at these prices if it lasts a few years I will just replace it. There is a lot of work with Cactus juice, ensure you get a big enough vacuum chamber and a table top oven to finish off. it can be expensive though so ensure you really do need to stabilize the wood. all in all recommended from a subjective point of view.

Thanks for that Lazarus.

It does say on the spec somewhere that it's recommended 30mins max continuous use, do you think that would that be a problem?

Have you ever used it for veneering?

When you say resin casting, do you mean like a pressure pot with acrylic resin to pressurise and shrink the bubbles smaller than the naked eye can see? I thought that 'blowing' air would be a different machine? (forgive my stupidity if i'm wrong)

Back