Vacuum Pump/Compressor Question for chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renoj

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This may be an obvious question but my knowledge of the subject is scarce.

Was looking up vacuum pumps and the double piston style attached came up quite a lot.

It is sometimes sold as a vacuum pump/compressor and I noticed that it looks exactly like what is on top of my compressor. Is it the same thing? Can I use the inlet as a vacuum?

edit: I took the inlet filter off and put some sandpaper over the hole and it does make a vacuum but I’m nervous it may ultimately mess up the valves?

Attachments

• D6EAF045-58F8-4539-96BE-BCF9A4761033.jpeg
    D6EAF045-58F8-4539-96BE-BCF9A4761033.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Yes you can use the air inlet of both piston and diaphragm compressors as a vacuum source. I wrote a piece for 'Practical Woodworking' in the 80s describing just that. The only precaution is to use a vacuum filter on the inlet.

The only proviso is that there is no storage tank on the compressor. For those it might be better adding a venturi device to creat a vacuum from an air flow.

Vacuum Filter I/2" BSP inlets

Edit: I seem to remember testing a strange Black and Decker compressor that used a diaphragm and couldn't get it to work pulling a vacuum. I think it needed a check valve on the inlet side but I never explored further. Google 'Pneumatic check valve' to locate one.

Last edited:
Back