Vacuum Press...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Tom,

Like Garnet, I too have and do use roarockit's manual press. Ted and Norah will also make custom bag sizes for very reasonable proces if the bag sizes they offer on the site do not work for you.

Good people, great service and product.

It's not too bad, quieter than a cheap diaphram compressor, you can talk without shouting and hear the radio OK but it can get on your nerves after an hour.

Best to pop the stuff in the bag before you stop for lunch and use something like titebons that will go off fairly quickly.

Jason

If you used them with a household vac you are unlikely to get enough suction, plus it mucks the vac up quite quickly. The bag would be OK with the right pump.

Jason

thanks for the replies...

IMHO i think the roarockit's press looks a little weak... i cant see it doing much... although i could, and probably am, wrong :roll:

The bagpress mini seems to be groing on me....

Whats these attatchments i can get for my air compressor.... how do these things work.... if i can use my compressor and all i need is to buy a bag and the fittings then im off for that...

Does it really work??

Ta

Tom

The venturies are on the Bagpress site, only downside that I have heard is that the sound of your compressor running for a couple of hours can be a pain, not sure what sort of CFM is required. Don't go for the water venturie if you are on a water meter :D

Jason

The Roarockit kit I purchased has more than enough pressure to do vacuum laminating. My chair back came out perfect. I used an electric system at school and this thing works just as well. These guys teach skateboard deck making classes using the hand pump kits all over the place. If it works for skateboards...I remember being a kid and beating the daylights out of a deck and it standing up...how much strength does a woodworking project need?

Just thought I would resurrect this thread for a moment just in case there are any people who would like to try vacuum pressing but were put off due to cost or the hassle of building a system for less cost.

Here's an image from this morning. It is of two panels roughly 18" x 24", each composed of two layers of 1/8" Mahogany being applied to 6 mm baltic birch ply. There's a 12 mm faced backer board in the bag as well.

I placed these panels in the bag about 10 pm last night and took them out this morning at 8:30. You can see the amount of pull the panels are receiving from a lowly hand-pump with no loss of vacuum.

A few more pictures available here.

roarockit_press.jpg

Oops, sorry Tom. The one Garnet and I were talking about up further, the little Roarockit kit. Hand pump. About $50 US. Inexpensive, works.

I've done veneer on coopered doors about 22" x 38" (they'll make custom bags for you).

For those of you interested bagpress now has a mould making service using styrofoam which is cut using a CNC hotwire cutter which gives superb results everytime. :wink:

brother":17c05og8 said:
... superb results everytime....

At quite a hefty price though. :cry:

Edit: I think I had better explain that statement.

I costed buying a cnc made form from them, against the materials, my time and overheads etc... and it was still (considerably) cheaper for me to make the mould myself, even though to do that I needed to make a template up first!

Newbie_Neil":3h10ugtt said:
Hi Brother

Welcome to the forum.

Perhaps you wouldn't mind explaining your connection with Bagpress?

Thanks
Neil

Thanks for the welcome. :D

Back