Vacuum Press...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newbie_Neil":36uk0sa7 said:
Hi Brother

Welcome to the forum.

Perhaps you wouldn't mind explaining your connection with Bagpress?

Thanks
Neil

Hi Neil,

I am afilliated with Bagpress and having read some of the posts felt the need to pass on some info and be helpful to other members.

My regards

brother

For mould-making, I can recommend the styrene foam used for insulation. I bought a pack of 4 slabs for £20 from B&Q and it was more than enough to build the former for the curved chair back I show in my avatar. It's not the easiest to work though, I spent ages trying to rig up a hot wire but you really need proper voltage control otherwise the wire catches, drags, overheats and melts. I ended up bandsawing it, then using a long board with a length of 40-grit (IIRC) sandpaper to sand it to shape. I was very pleased with the result, even if it was hard work.

When I make my next one, I'll make a spindle template and shape each layer on my router table with a long cutter, before stacking them together to make the former. I reckon that way there sould be virtually no cleaning up to do.

I also skinned the top with thin MDF, which was a very good move, as it smoothed out what little ridges remained.

I'm hoping it will all appear in GW just after Christmas. Can you stand the anticipation?

If anyone ever needs some assistance or advise on vacuum forming please do contact me or leave a message. :D

Back