Vacuum Kilns

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosco

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
here I am again picking the brains of you good people that have got a lot more experience than myself. I have been looking around on the net and have come across an article that has caught my attention.

http://carverscompanion.com/Ezine/Vol2I ... nDiel.html

It is about building your own vacuum kiln for use at home to dry your own wood. I would like to know if anyone has tried this method and if so how successful was it and do you continue to use this method or have you found some improvements on this system.

All the best,

Rosco ( Chris )

Chris,

I have never tried this myself but commercial vacuum kilning is apparently not uncommon. Wests in Sussex use it, especially for sycamore as it helps to preserve its whiteness. I see no reason why a home built kiln should not work although given the very small capacity of such a thing I can't really see any reason to make such a thing.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply the man in the link I posted is a wood carver so there isn't the need for large quantitys. But the way I was thinking was that it could be up graded and thereby be more use, I can get hold of 24" stainless steel piping and with that you could dry a lot of wood at once.

All the best,

Rosco ( Chris )

Back