Vacuum hose reducer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where I can get a hose reducer from.
The problem I have with my table saw and my planer thicknesser is that a reducer kit I have does not fit.
My kit supposedly reduces from 100mm - 30mm except it does not, it can sit on a 100mm extractor hole but does not fit in or slot over it.
The size of the extraction holes are 101mm diameter outside measurement and 95mm internal measurement.
Does anyone else have the screwfix entry level Planer thicknesser TTB579PLN if so what do you use?

Take some sample parts to a plumbers merchants and get pipe fittings that match, there’s usually something that fits just right

Aidan

I've made some reducers for my thicknesser and router table on a 3D printer. If you know anyone with a printer they're very easy and cheap to make to whatever dimensions you want.

Garno":4dnb0g05 said:
Can anyone tell me where I can get a hose reducer from.
The problem I have with my table saw and my planer thicknesser is that a reducer kit I have does not fit.
My kit supposedly reduces from 100mm - 30mm except it does not, it can sit on a 100mm extractor hole but does not fit in or slot over it.
The size of the extraction holes are 101mm diameter outside measurement and 95mm internal measurement.
Does anyone else have the screwfix entry level Planer thicknesser TTB579PLN if so what do you use?

I had a similar problem with my drum sander. The dust extraction port was almost exactly the same size as the dust extractor hose. I cut the bottom of a tapered plastic soup pot, gaffer taped it to the sander and slid the extractor hose over it.

There are various such "tricks" that can be employed. You just need to keep an eye open for apparently useful bits of circular plastic packing "waste" before it goes in the bin.

Also a quick search on Youtube will throw up several ideas involving plastic plumbing pipe and/or fittings (as mentioned in an earlier post above) which, together with application of heat (as shown on the vids, usually heat guns) can produce some good results.

For myself, though I did buy a set of "vari reducers" from Axi (which were cheap enough), most of what I've done has just involved thick ply, the nearest size hole saw, and my scroll saw. Bit of a fiddle sometimes but worth it IMO - and as a sometimes toy maker, you also end up with quite a few circular offcuts which can form the basis for wheels on toys.

As a P.S. though. Isn't it remarkable that just about all the domestic vacuum cleaner and accessory and hose manufacturers seem to be able to come up with compatible sizes in about 95% of the cases (I think) - whereas the manufacturers of our machines and vacs and extractors, etc, can't seem to come up with, say, 3 standardised sizes (which I think would cover all but industrial applications)?

twodoctors":3ver3r38 said:
https://www.charnwood.net/products/product/p5-piece-stepped-reducer-100-35rc/category_pathway-151

This one works on mine...

Adrian

Thank you for your reply I have that same "kit" and the measurements are exactly the same as those on my machines :evil:

NickM":2qyh81xd said:
I've made some reducers for my thicknesser and router table on a 3D printer. If you know anyone with a printer they're very easy and cheap to make to whatever dimensions you want.

That would be the ideal solution but I am not sure I know anyone with a 3D printer, I will start looking around my local area or see if I can get a college or school to make me 1 :D

AES":qp1517u0 said:
There are various such "tricks" that can be employed. You just need to keep an eye open for apparently useful bits of circular plastic packing "waste" before it goes in the bin.

Also a quick search on Youtube will throw up several ideas involving plastic plumbing pipe and/or fittings (as mentioned in an earlier post above) which, together with application of heat (as shown on the vids, usually heat guns) can produce some good results.

For myself, though I did buy a set of "vari reducers" from Axi (which were cheap enough), most of what I've done has just involved thick ply, the nearest size hole saw, and my scroll saw. Bit of a fiddle sometimes but worth it IMO - and as a sometimes toy maker, you also end up with quite a few circular offcuts which can form the basis for wheels on toys.

As a P.S. though. Isn't it remarkable that just about all the domestic vacuum cleaner and accessory and hose manufacturers seem to be able to come up with compatible sizes in about 95% of the cases (I think) - whereas the manufacturers of our machines and vacs and extractors, etc, can't seem to come up with, say, 3 standardised sizes (which I think would cover all but industrial applications)?

I think the Ply option is a good one until I get one made on a 3D printer.
Fully agree with your P.S and it is the most annoying thing with power tools.

A trick I learnt from Peter Millard on YouTube (also member here) is to use bicycle inner tube... works well if you are talking about the 35m-ish port. Obviously no good if it's the 63mm...

A

I have a short section of rubberised hose, some sort of plumbing part, though I couldn't tell you what. The stretch of the rubber is normally enough to keep a tight seal, though I have some jubilee clips to hand if I need them. I,d head down to the plumbing suppliers with the relevant bits and have a play

I wonder if I could make something out of a marigold glove and some tape? More to the point would it work or get sucked in towards the vacuum and rip?

Depending on how much suck your vac produces, I GUESS a rubber glove would be a bit too thin. I thought the Peter Millard inner tube idea was great, but by the time he's posted that I'd already "fixed" all my adaptors.

Can only suggest you try a rubber glove - you'll soon find out if it doesn't work :D

As an afterthought to the above, they do sell thicker types of "industrial" rubber gloves over here anyway (supermarkets, Housewear Dept). I use a pair when cleaning dead leaves out of the drains by the garage - they're quite a bit thicker than the ordinary ladies or my workshop type gloves. I'm sure you could find similar in UK? Worth a try anyway?

Back