Vacuum cleaner RFI filter replacement, help please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Russell

Established Member
Reaction score
We have had a VAX 2300 wet and dry vacuum cleaner for many years (since 1992?), similar in shape to a Henry .. large cylinder on wheels type.
Recently while in use it started to give a terrible burning smell. On investigation I believe the faulty component is the radio interference capacitor circuit (RFI) on the mains entry lead ... this is an encapsulated box thingy maybe 50mm x 50mm x12mm fastened to the side of the motor housing. The code on the unit is RFI Type 204. 220/240v 6.5a
Despite spending much time searching google etc for a replacement item, I have failed to find one.
So: question: does anyone know if there is a generic component that could be used? A new motor (1200w) for this vacuum seems to be around £28 but as far as I can see it does not come with the RFI unit.
All help appreciated, Cheers Phil

Just leave it out.
That's two people saying that so if I cannot find a (cheap) part by tomorrow, I will do just that. I have looked at a few parts that would do the job electronically but they would not fit in the space available.

Cheers, Phil

Thank you all.
No help from VAX .. they don't keep electrical spares. No one else keeps such spares for such an old model. So: RFI module removed. All back together and seemingly all OK. Ran for 15 minutes without problems.
Cheers, Phil

The capacitor does nothing to affect the running of the item, it is there purely to supress the "noise" put out that in the past would interfere with radios/tv's etc nearby. This is not really an issue now so don't worry about it, you may still get a bit of crackle on your radio when using the vac nearby but you are unlikely to be able to hear the radio with the vac running anyway.

The first call trick to see if the piece of kit you had just designed needed masses of rfi suppression was to put a radio by it, particularly an AM radio. If turning the device on blotted out the radio then it was generating a lot of rfi. Similarly try making a mobile phone call, then turn your device on. If neither of these cause too much interference then you're OK to leave it out. It's not going to effect the performance of your vac.
Martin

Back