Vacuum bag on the cheap ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ollie78

Established Member
Reaction score
This may be a stupid idea but I wonder if it may work.
My Mum has bought some storage bags for clothes and stuff, they work by putting clothes in them and then attaching a hoover to the valve and sucking out all the air.
They seem to be able to hold quite a strong vacuum, so of course I thought that maybe I could use these bags as a cheap bagpress if I use a powerfull hoover.

Has anyone tried this method out as I can`t afford a proper bagpress and pump etc.

Or does anyone know another cheap bag press method ?

cheers Ollie.

For flat, fairly compliant veneers, this works very well. You are not going to be able to do deep 3D stuff, of course, but for simple stuff it's fine. Don't forget you need some breathable membrane inside so that the valve doesn't get sealed by its own vacuum.
S

Or buy a roll of heavy duty polythene and a roll of double sided tape, you can make bags any size you like for a few pence.

Hi,

I have used a spare bag for my dust extractor as a vacume bag with a piece of cloth as the breathable membrane.

Pete

Hi,

The clothing bags have a built in valve.
You can use the tube you use evacuate the air from the bag, just clamp it tightly.
I made a flange from some copper pipe and hot melt glue that the pipe fitted on,
my vacuum pump is continuously rated so I can leave it on all the time.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I didn't think of leaving the pump running, assumed you needed a one way valve for the purpose, I'll google a bit further and see if I can find any anyway as not sure if my pump is continuously rated.

Cheers, Paul

Back