Vac forming??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samlarsen

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone into vac forming plastic? or know anyone who is? or some web resources?

I have to make some large drip trays for a project. I am hoping to make up a pattern myself and form the trays (I need loads) in my workshop.

The theory seems easy, hot plastic, pattern, suction. That easy?

Any pointers (any at all) would be great.

Thanks

Sam

Sam, I'm exploring this at the moment myself. As I understand it, the tooling has to be in aluminium, and is mega-expensive. We want to make flattish items approximately 3' x 20" x 1" by this method, and were quoted c. £1k for the tooling, and we'd have to order several hundreds to make the order worth their while.

Would making an MDF former and taking it to a glass-fibre moulder fill your need? It would certainly be many times cheaper if you only required a few trays. How many is "loads"?

I'd be very interested in any information you dig up which goes against what I've described above.

Regards, John

:D I use to do vac forming for my model airplane parts i use to make the plug out of anything I could to keep the cost down wood,air drying clay it use to work for me

martyn :D

Excellent just the info I was after!

Woodhead, Any ideas if there's a follow article showing the actual forming? I had a look at the main site but couldnt find anything. The item shown is approximately the same size as the tray I need to produce so the article is very useful. Any idea where to find any others?

Knot: I have hundreds to make. I was also quoted 1000 for the tooling in aluminium. I need to make a few for client approval before going to full tooling for the main run.

This job is beginning to look like a flyer, any other info would be great.

Sam

I did this at school - I made wooden moulds - with angled sides - I can't remember the exact angle, and then the mould was placed inside a machine, and a sheet of plastic clamped (air tight) in position over it. A sliding heater was pulled forward to heat the plastic till it was very soggy, then the mould was lifted, and a vaccum started simultanesly. The palstic was then sucked over the mould. Left to cool, and then the moudl was removed. It worked quite well. the trays I wanted were for model soldiers. You had to drill extra holes in the mould for the plastic to be pulled tightly around the wooden blocks.

Adam

Chris, I'd really appreciate much more information. What is ABS, where do you get it, what thicknesses does it come in, how much vacuum do you need?

Any information appreciated - I'm excited that I might be able to save megabucks!

Regards, John

ABS is a very durable thermo plastic, slightly flexible depending on thickness, and easily its machined.

You have to use thermo plastics for v/forming. High impact polystyrene is great for this. And probably one of the cheapest.

Back