Vac advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnycc

Reaction score
Hi guys

Hoping for some advice on vacs from you helpful folk!

I’m a hobbyist with a small setup in my basement. I own a festool hk55 and a bunch of other tools from dewalt / makita etc.

I’m after a decent vac and am wondering in my situation whether a festool midi would be complete overkill. obviously it would work great with my saw, but I’m guessing many other products would do an equally good job of that too? How easy is it to plug the festool into other tools (dewalt router, makita sander / chop saw)? And how easy is it to plug non festool vacs into the hk55?

Any recommendations for alternatives that have auto start?

I doubt I’ll be buying any more festool stuff soon, but willing to splurge on a decent vac to keep the lungs tip top!

thanks for the advice
J

I use a Festool vac (bought one used). Great vac, long hose. Downside - the bags are expensive.

Before that I bought a cheap Karcher vac and quickly realized that, even with the filter, it still blew out as much dust as it took in. I asked Karcher what this was rated for (filter type) and they replied that their "diy" versions aren't classified as such.

So with regards to lungs it might be prudent to check that what ever vac you end up with has a rating. The Bosch GAS35 looks nice. As for compatibility I am sure the interface nozzle can be replaced - you would have to check.

You could also look for a [2nd hand] Numatic [industrial Henry] with a switchable head. I've ran one of these for power tool extraction, workshop and diy use for about 25 years. Mine has the extra hospital grade filter so it does not use bags. I have replaced the motor as original was only 900 watt but this lives in an old Henry and was still in perfect order. The unit is bombproof.

Colin

My Trend T30 seems good. Cheaper than Festool! Long hose, inline switch, cheap bags, washable filter.
If you look around you can find or bodge up an adaptor for any connection so I wouldn't worry about that detail

Plenty of options. Would recommend using a bag though as it prolongs the life of the filter. Do not recommend using compressed air to clean filter as this can damage it.

I recently (last week) bought a “Fein Dustex 25L 230v 25L Anti-Static” as I wanted a dedicated vac for my mitre saw. Seriously impressive suction, filtration seems top notch so far and a very good price for the performance. Worth a look. There are also versions available with cleaning accessories and a version with a self cleaning filter.

FWIW with a Kapex and a short 36mm hose I am seeing zero visible dust after cutting quite a lot of MDF, so I’m a happy camper.

Yes, it would be overkill.
But. It is as good as others.
And. It will fit your saw... properly.
And. If you buy into Festool kit, it will fit other Festool items.

Sod the grief of mixing kit items, vac items are a total non mix (IMHO) when tubes are involved.
I wish i'd gone for the midi.

For my mobile gear I have: Trade rated large Festool, Numatic wet and dry and two Lidl vacs with power take off.

I bough the Festool 2nd hand but immaculate and barely used. It is superb. You can buy a re-usable bag, and the large Festool vacs go for a good long while as they fill every bit of the bag. No discernible dust escape at all.

The Numatic I would not buy again. Power is inconsistent and drops noticeably as the bag gets fuller. Filter clogs very easily.

The Lidl ones were about £50 each, with power take off and are such a bargain I bought a spare. I use one with my Mirka sander quite a bit (using the tapered Mirka hose) and it is excellent.

Festool is top notch and I like the hose storage etc. That would be my number one choice. Get the non-snag smooth hose in the large bore size. Excellent when dealing with a tracksaw, hand held planer or ROS for example.

I don't think the Trend T30 that Jacob mentioned are available anymore, I found they worked ok but didn't last long. I have a little resting place for them in the corner of my yard, don't know why I have never got around to skipping them 😆😆😆

dead vacs.jpg

I now use Festool vacs. My first was a CT26 I got really cheap off ebay nearly 10 years ago, it looked in a real state, battered and covered in paint, I put a new filter and bag in it and have used it daily ever since.

I don't want to encourage you to spend more money but the little Bluetooth switch that Festool make is a great piece of kit, really useful, just another reason you should go with the Festool (y)

vac switch.jpg

Nilfisk Attix 33 or 44,
M class, upgradeable to HEPA H class.

A full feature alternative to Festool.

Clever system for autocleaning the filters, low flow alarms, power take off, antistatic ....
I use with a cyclone and I'm still on the first (optional) bag after 18mths use.

Oh, and everyones hoses upto 50mm fit this without modification, nilfisk, festool, flex, mirka take your pick, they all just push into the taper socket.
Choose the funky new festool for your tracksaw, mirka for flexibility and value on all the other powertools and flex or nilfisk for good value antistatic hoses in larger sizes and nilfisk stainless tool set for clean up.

Branded bags aren't too bad if you shop carefully and avoid getting ripped off at your friendly high street retailer.

Last edited:
I don't think the Trend T30 that Jacob mentioned are available anymore, I found they worked ok but didn't last long. I have a little resting place for them in the corner of my yard, don't know why I have never got around to skipping them 😆😆😆

View attachment 108382

I now use Festool vacs. My first was a CT26 I got really cheap off ebay nearly 10 years ago, it looked in a real state, battered and covered in paint, I put a new filter and bag in it and have used it daily ever since.

I don't want to encourage you to spend more money but the little Bluetooth switch that Festool make is a great piece of kit, really useful, just another reason you should go with the Festool (y)

View attachment 108383
I'm not committed to the particular model - just something of that ilk will do. A "new improved" version.:unsure:

I use a Festool vac (bought one used). Great vac, long hose. Downside - the bags are expensive.

Before that I bought a cheap Karcher vac and quickly realized that, even with the filter, it still blew out as much dust as it took in. I asked Karcher what this was rated for (filter type) and they replied that their "diy" versions aren't classified as such.

So with regards to lungs it might be prudent to check that what ever vac you end up with has a rating. The Bosch GAS35 looks nice. As for compatibility I am sure the interface nozzle can be replaced - you would have to check.

Karcher have one with HEPA filter - T 15/1 HEPA | Kärcher International (kaercher.com)

Festool vacuums are great. If you notice whatever power tool people are reviewing online, it’s almost always a green hose going to it.

You can re-use a standard bag by cutting open the end and closing it off with two strips of wood and some bulldog clips. I’m on the same bag for the last 5 years, maybe more... can’t remember

Aidan

Latest posts

Back