Uuuh?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/315 ... on-35th-go

Because women have had so many lessons, they are less likely to cause an accident.

Steph Savill of Foxy Lady Drivers

From the above, her logic beats me!

Mind you the chap I followed through town this moring will never have an accident, my wife noted that our speed wasn't registering on the speedo!

Roy.

I'm reminded of the idea that given enough time a Chimp would type the Works of Shakespear.
But the argument by Steph appears to be 'feminine logic', if more lessons equals safer driver then fewer doesn't mean greater competency, thus in my case, one lesson and passed first time makes me dangerous! :lol:
Beats me!

Roy.

whiskywill":21jiqyb8 said:
Can I have a 'P' please Bob. :D

Only if you're quick, you don't want to miss anything. :p

I'd have thought that someone taking more than a few tries to pass the theory test should probably just be banned from the roads for a while. Unless it's got dramatically harder since I took mine 13 years ago - and mine was the bike one, which was supposed to be harder - failing it more than a couple of times shows such a dramatic lack of understanding I'm not sure I'd trust the individual to drive on the right side of the road!

On one hand, there's the argument that some people freeze up in exams and panic... but do we really want people prone to freezing up and panicking behind the wheel of a car?

JakeS":19wvjo77 said:
On one hand, there's the argument that some people freeze up in exams and panic... but do we really want people prone to freezing up and panicking behind the wheel of a car?

Overheard in at an over-sixties luncheon:
Mr B: Oh age is terrible, my arthritis is so bad that I cannot turn my head more than a little to either side....
Mrs C: You think that that is bad? My eyes are so bad that even with my glasses everything is blurred beyond six foot away....
Mr D: you have it lucky, I fall asleep all the ti.......zzzzzzzz
Mr B: Well, lets look on the bright side - we still all have our driving licenses don't we?

Frightening isn't it? There was an article in the press some time ago by a reporter. Her father had never had to take a driving test and she was scared of his driving, but also lacked the courage to tell him, so she contacted the DVLA. They sent him to see a doctor, the doc asked him if he could read a number plate at the required distance and he replied, 'yes!'
And that was it, he had lied about his eyesight and was furious that someone had doubted his driving!
When I lost the vision in my left eye I had my son measure out the required distance and checked that I could in fact meet the legal requirements, then saw my doctor.
My vision was tested and I was informed that I had better than 20/20 in the good eye, I was informed that the doc was required to give a clean bill if the testee had at 60% vision in at least one eye!!!!

Roy.

Digit":1kseo6dy said:
Frightening isn't it? ................... I was informed that the doc was required to give a clean bill if the testee had at 60% vision in at least one eye!!!!
Yes, scary. I think a driving license should be a privilege, not a right.

JakeS":2yhmt85a said:
whiskywill":2yhmt85a said:
Can I have a 'P' please Bob. :D

Only if you're quick, you don't want to miss anything. :p

I'd have thought that someone taking more than a few tries to pass the theory test should probably just be banned from the roads for a while. Unless it's got dramatically harder since I took mine 13 years ago - and mine was the bike one, which was supposed to be harder - failing it more than a couple of times shows such a dramatic lack of understanding I'm not sure I'd trust the individual to drive on the right side of the road!

They all drive on the right side of the road here Jake, well, some of the time anyway :shock: :shock: They have also got slipstreaming off to a very fine art. That is untill you are getting too close to a corner or someone coming towards you, then they will TRY to overtake!

Just as well the country is 5 times the size of the U.K. with the same number of people I suppose?

One of the things here is that a learner has to record 3000Km of driving before they can even take the 'written' test.. Quite how the 'record' is kept I will have to ask our neighbour whos grandaughter is at about 3,500Km?

DrPhill":1lomdf6b said:
JakeS":1lomdf6b said:

Overheard in at an over-sixties luncheon:
Mr B: Oh age is terrible, my arthritis is so bad that I cannot turn my head more than a little to either side....
Mrs C: You think that that is bad? My eyes are so bad that even with my glasses everything is blurred beyond six foot away....
Mr D: you have it lucky, I fall asleep all the ti.......zzzzzzzz
Mr B: Well, lets look on the bright side - we still all have our driving licenses don't we?

Dr Phill,

Unless you succumb to the alternative to growing old - God forbid- one day, (And sooner than you think) you will be filling in the requisite form to renew your licence, every three years. Then a driving licence will be a real privilege. :wink:

P.S Enjoyed the 'whistle' music, but the videos are missing. :?:

Digit":3yfvzmyo said:
Frightening isn't it? There was an article in the press some time ago by a reporter. Her father had never had to take a driving test and she was scared of his driving, but also lacked the courage to tell him, so she contacted the DVLA. They sent him to see a doctor, the doc asked him if he could read a number plate at the required distance and he replied, 'yes!'
And that was it, he had lied about his eyesight and was furious that someone had doubted his driving!
When I lost the vision in my left eye I had my son measure out the required distance and checked that I could in fact meet the legal requirements, then saw my doctor.
My vision was tested and I was informed that I had better than 20/20 in the good eye, I was informed that the doc was required to give a clean bill if the testee had at 60% vision in at least one eye!!!!

Roy.
What worries me is the idea that somebody can have passed their driving test decades ago, but never taken an eye test in their life. Periodic eye tests ought to be a condition of retaining a driving licence, I think.

A chap I once knew was run down and killed by an octagenarian motorist, who then concluded that perhaps he was a bit old for driving and gave up.

Quite agree Sawyer.

A recent certificate, issued by a qualified ophthalmologist is a good idea. But I suppose the best proof is' in the eating' as they say; provided the person asking you to read a number plate can actually read, and can also see well enough to know you're right!

With some Police Officers I see around these days, I wonder. They are so scruffy, that I doubt they can see well enough to check their appearance in a full-length mirror; and I know the mirrors are provided t the stations! :(

I live in west Wales Sawyer, a popular area for retirement, an area listed as 'transport dependent.' I am retired, aged 71 as demonstrated a few days ago when I was quoted £900 to insure a 400cc motor bike!
Regretably there are many many drivers here who should not be driving, this is my experience. 22 yrs I have lived here, I have had my car hit 11 times, this includes two write offs. Three times I have been hit when moving and 7 times when parked.
One write off was an elder driver in a tractor on the wrong side of the road, another one was a taxi driver who was Registered Blind! I have been hit behind twice at the same 'Tee' junction.
I have also hit, or frightened to death, 6 pedestrians. Many older local people have never driven, and depite your reversing lights being on they will walk behind you as you reverse into a kerbside parking slot. One young woman did this to me whilst pushing a toddler in a buggy! Using my mirrors and looking over my shoulder I never even saw the child!
Me and my son buy our cars from the local breakers, he is now expert at pulling front ends straight! We have a local population of 4000, and the largest breakers I have ever seen!
Even the local police have stated publicly that too many older drivers here are not up to the job, a survey found that some drivers hit the roads only once a month, as a consequence they can't park and can't reverse.

Roy.

Well, I am giving myself just another five years Roy. After that, I shan't bother, and just hire a taxi for local jaunts. As for holidays, I'll rely on my kids to drive me. I'm sure they will, if I pay for the accommodation! :shock:

Sorry... another 7 years. I'm only 73. 8)

Wales will get a bashing too! I love the place.

John :D

I'll stop the moment my family start looking nervous! :lol:

Roy.

Digit":2ekihit2 said:
The back seat driver?

Roy.

An ex-colleague Roy, who in fact took me through my Advanced Course when I was at work. Long time ago mind. In the days when any old Police driver could do a pursuit.

No, I never got involved in any accidents, but then for one thing I had a German Shepherd Dog in the back of the van to worry about! :D
(He wasn't so good at driving as me!)

Benchwayze":3owo9mgl said:
No, I never got involved in any accidents, but then for one thing I had a German Shepherd Dog in the back of the van to worry about! :D
(He wasn't so good at driving as me!)
Here's one for the beekeepers among us: if moving a colony, stick a 'Live Bees in Transit' notice on the vehicle. Nobody ever tailgates you! 8)

Back