"Utilitarian" Workshop: Design Advice Sought

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrundell

Reaction score
Hello there

I have been through the forums and seen some *excellent* advice about all types of structures. I have a workshop in the garden that is wonderful -- built by a Joiner, plastered walls etc. and my wife has a 'standard' shed and has left an unusual space at the back of her shed. I want to requisition this space and erect a smaller, more utilitarian workshop.

So, I have a space around 7' x 5' bordered on two sides by a 2m+ fence, and on one side by the back of another shed. The front will be invisible from the house. I want to make a space suitable for a little stand-up work; so needs to be better than a storage shed, but no need for all the creature comforts.

The base will be installed by a local groundworks guy and will be a series of breeze block pillars with wooden beams sat on top.

Based on reading other threads my thoughts are:
-- Walls (non visible): Bitumen Corrugated Sheet, then breathable membrane, then 11mm OSB, then insulation (any tips?) then thin ply or plasterboard.
-- Visible Wall: The same aside from a shiplap covering rather than bitumen sheet
-- Roof: Corrugated sheeting (I know this will need more support) perhaps with a clear strip to admit light
-- Floor: 18mm+ OSB on top of 4 x 3 joists

Does anyone have any further suggestions or questions I need to decide before starting? I'm a novice, but will have some semi-experienced labour to help.

Thanks so much

Ben

How much of a problem is unwanted visitors 'borrowing' your tools in your area?

I wouldnt be happy with an area I couldnt see from the house holding anything of any value, but then again I'm tripping over scrotes when I put the bins out.

Corrugated sheeting especially clear is bad for condensation when used for a roof it drips on you and items you store.

Thanks, both, for your replies. Happily we are in a nice area and my workshop will not contain anything too valuable. I should disclose my workshop is for printing rather than woodworking. Sorry.

The situation is especially gloomy...bordered on three sides by 2m+ cladding or fencing with a tree overhead so I thought getting as much light as possible in would be good. Perhaps a bigger window would be better than clear roof. What would you suggest for the roof?

Thanks

Ben

Wonder if the twin or triple walled polycarb might be a good option for roof covering, is a fair bit more expensive than your first suggestion tho.

Are you having some sort of outdoor lighting installed in this area?

I would just make a custom shed with a window from ebay (odd sizes very cheap) and a felt roof.All set on levelled up blocks or well fixed slabs foil backed insulation well fitted between studs if required.

Well if your printing and you dont say what type paper doesnt like the damp or sunlight on it can cause static
ink doesnt like the cold or to hot changes its viscosity and all the chemicals will also be temp sensitive
if its a small offset litho then wants to be on firm floor, you will also need some lighting that you can see the true
colour density that you are printing.

Thanks for the roofing/window advice. I suppose my next question is around the materials: OLD said "just make a custom shed", and I'd like a bit more idea of the best route in terms of what the walls should be made of. I suggested above shiplap, breatheable membrane, 11mm OSB, insulation between studs then a lining inside -- does that sound workable?

Thanks woodaxed for your comments....my printing is letterpress and so less exacting than litho. It's also a hobby so I'm not too worried: I've seen plenty of printing works with holes in the roof that seem to work! Naturally I don't want to make it too difficult for myself.

If I can get the materials together I will draw up a list and price it out.

Thanks

Ben

'shiplap, breatheable membrane, 11mm OSB, insulation between studs then a lining inside'. Sounds good, you could go down to 8mm osb for walls and CLS for studs .

Hello All

I wanted to follow up on this and let you know what I've done. I costed the materials in a rough way and from Wickes the materials would be close to £600 plus £150 ground works plus build costs. Knowing this figure helped me look again at the space I do have.

I decided to invest the time in scrapping/sorting my existing equipment and then the money I would have spent on purchasing a new press.

Thanks so much for your input with the design as I had the potential to begin something I might not have been able to afford in terms of time and money.

Regards

Ben

I'd suggest trying a local builders merchants rather than wickes, i'd imagine you can knock a fair chunk off that price!

Try Manningham concrete in bradford, good service and not massively far also generally half the price!

All

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I've hit a stumbling block. Even if I re-arrange my existing workshop, I won't have space to store everything. There are a small number of things that I enjoy using but perhaps only use once every six months. I'd like to use my original space in the back garden; but would now like to "store" things rather than create another "workshop".

That means my original needs have grown less exacting: I need the space to be dry; but no longer have a need for windows, insulation or even to be as strong as I initially thought.

I can go back and re-spec my original plan; but wondered what others thought of metal storage sheds? It seems to me that provided they have a good base and reasonable ventilation this might suit my needs. I would build racking/shelving inside using some Dexion I have.

Or, is there an even more utilitarian approach that I could use in wood: perhaps a wooden frame with corrugated metal sides and roof.

My question for you is: if you have a space just for storage, how is it constructed and what would you recommend?

Thanks again

Ben

Ben, I wouldn't entertain a metal shed. Having had one once - never again - a condensation nightmare. Whatever you store in there will get wet, and I mean wet, not just damp.

Why not just buy a 7' x 5' timber shed from any shed supplier, shouldn't be too expensive and will be done & dusted in no time. They will often erect when they deliver, but if not it's not a difficult job to do yourself.

HTH

regards

Brian

Back