Using washing machine motors for workshop machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've looked into this in some detail as I salvaged one from our scrapped Bosch washing machine with a view to using it to drive my bench sander. After a lot of research I discovered that relatively modern machines use permanent magnet synchronous motors which have a huge max rpm so require sophisticated electronic speed control; so basically you can't use these. However, if the motor is an older style universal motor with a speed rating in excess of the 1450 rpm you need for a sander, then you can buy a speed controller such as this

WINGONEER AC 220V 4000W High Power SCR Electronic Voltage Regulator Governor Dimmer Thermostat Speed Controller: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Watch this YouTube video to see how these are wired and how they work.

How to Wiring Universal Washing Machine Motor - YouTube

If the motor is rated around 1450 rpm then you could just wire it to the mains without a controller, there are a few videos on how to do this.

Hope this is useful.

Last edited:
There is guy on YouTube who uses all sorts of reclaimed stuff to build workshop tools.
Can't remember the name now.
I saw him build a few things with treadmill motors from gyms. These are just a basic but quite large motors.
Modern washing machines are direct drive and will be difficult to use as half the motor is on the drum.

Ollie

Jeremy Fielding? https://www.youtube.com/c/JeremyFieldingSr/videos

One of my waterstone grinder uses the three phase motor from an old industrial washing machine. Modern household washing machine motors seem to be pretty much useless. I prefere old industrial motors which I buy from a local scrap dealer for 50 cents a kilo.

I am surpised that no one has point out that wood turners are advised to turn the rotating speed down to 500rpm or less when sanding as anything higher results in excess heat and loss of effectiveness as the sandpaper just bounces on the material.
This must apply to all sanding I would have thought, so using a 1450rpm 4 pole induction motor is going to result in a sandpaper surface speed far too high.
For big sanding I have a 12" sanding plate plate that goes onto the variable speed lathe, and for little things a 6" Aldidls sander that is probably a dc motor with a simple speed control.

Back