Using up scrap ends

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldel

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are like me and just detest discarding those odd ends of scrap hardwood but don't know what to do with them, then here is an idea. I made a dozen or so door wedges to give away at Christmas to friends as joke presents and have subsequently been inundated with orders!
group.JPG

group1.JPG

Another forty five have gone and I still need to make more. I just doodle out an animal outline with a wedge and make no attempt at carving. I use a band saw, fret saw and a small belt sander. The judicious use of small metal files will probably be needed to finish the nooks and crannies. I have finished mine with sanding sealer and brushing wax to make the wood come alive.
You could make these with just a fretsaw and sand paper if you don't own any power tools.
So far I have made cats, frogs, snails, chickens, dogs, mice, rabbits, squirrels and fruit, but the choice seems endless. Cat lovers seem to want them just for ornaments and I have been asked for a family of snails without the wedge in Yew.
A search of clip art will provide you with some outlines if you get short of ideas.
I have used idigbo, mahogany, cherry, oak, beech, poplar, ash and maple so far, but I think cherry is my favourite. Any hardwood would be suitable.
If you have an artistic hand you could add reed whiskers and leather tails and include a bit of detail to dress them up. I get satisfaction from quickly producing something from scrap and so far enjoy giving them away.
I may give Ebay a try later though!

snail.JPG

frog.JPG

I have have posted this to make a change from the great American D**o debate and to perhaps view any other ideas on using up scrap material.

Regards, Aldel

:D :D

Aldel,

Those are superb - not only could I use a couple, but I'm sure they'd make a great easy to make pressie!
Any chance of making a close up of each design - make it a bit easier to copy them :oops: :D

Adam

Aldel,

They are a wonderful way of making something useful from the scrap ends. 8)

I will be giving this a try, thanks for the idea. :D

Aldel,

Brill! I love the snail. And the squirrel. And the rabbit. And the - Well you see where I'm going with this. :D Only trouble is my scrap ends are smaller than that... :(

Cheers, Alf

I'm not surprised you've been inundated with orders. They look good and they're functional.

People who aren't quite so artistic might find some similar designs in Patrick Spielman's pattern books.

Gill

Aldel
No wonder you were snowed under with orders.
i've always found if something is pleasing to the eye and touch and is as functional as your wedges are people can't get enough of them. More power to your elbow.

Drew

Aldel,

What a great idea. It always amazes me when something so simple works out so well.

I might have to add a fretsaw to my list of "tools to buy when I can afford it", just so as I can do a few of those myself.

Regards

Gary

Aldel, I presume that you didn't cut all those out by hand. I'd be interested to hear what sort of scrollsaw you have.

Gill

Aldel,
Briillant. I've filed away that idea for next year. They look a lot easier to make than the candle holders I did this year.

Andy

Aldel what a great way to use up those scrap bits 'that will come in useful one day'

Well done aldel they are superb
You realise noe youve got everybody working on doorstops for the next few months. The country fares will be flooded with the damn things and how the hell am I going to compete with my railway sleeper bookends!!
beejay

Back