Using tree roots for woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMALMALEKI

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi
I was reading about a traditional method of woodworking in Kurdistan. They make very beautiful backgammon boards.
They claim walnut roots are the best wood for the board making.

Has anybody here used roots for woodworking?

Attachments

• B1B21F1A-E716-4DD0-9873-82E1F52DB417.jpeg
    B1B21F1A-E716-4DD0-9873-82E1F52DB417.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 116
Walnut roots (or rather the wood that’s below ground level but just above the actual roots), is the traditional choice for high end shotgun stocks. It requires the tree stump to be dug out, mainly by hand, which adds enormously to the cost.

custard":18b8i1ch said:
Walnut roots (or rather the wood that’s below ground level but just above the actual roots), is the traditional choice for high end shotgun stocks. It requires the tree stump to be dug out, mainly by hand, which adds enormously to the cost.
I just helped earlier last week to take down a Walnut tree but there's no way I'm digging up the stump by hand! - Rob

I have turned root balls on the lathe with some good results, and some that just fell apart, also made some walking sticks using the main tap root. All need a really good pressure wash to remove grit and stones before using tools on them.

Back