Using Tormek to sharpen Gouge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi folks,

Any seasoned Tormek users here with tips for getting the right settings for the SVS-180 gouge sharpening attachment? I've been trying for an hour today to match the original grind on my Perform roughing gouge and can't get it quite right :roll:

The problem I'm having is that there are three variables, and each one has an impact on the others, so I'm getting a bit confused :?

1 - The setting for the Universal Support (the bar that the jig slides along)
2 - The length of chisel protruding from the jig itself
3 - The angle setting of the jig (marked from 1-5)

As soon as you adjust any one of these, it appears to have an impact on the other settings. Which one do I start with and lock down? Then what? :?

I've been getting closer since I discovered I'd got it upside down (only 20 minutes wasted on that :oops: ).

Thanks in advance,

AG

Problem solved, I think. I've just been flicking through the manual and spotted that there's another jig to use for roughing gouges, rather than the 180 (the 50, I think). Anyway, I've got that somewhere too, so fingers are crossed that once the kids are in bed I'm in for a good turn :lol:

Cheers,

AG

Back